Sunday, October 15, 2017

How much is too much?

How big is too big?

For better or worse, I live in one of the fastest growing metropolitan areas in the country.  I say "for better or worse" because for years now I've been looking for that sweet spot that's big enough to have everything I need/want, but not too big to be overwhelmingly congested.  Everywhere I look these days all I see is more construction.  I'm losing ground to "overwhelmingly congested"!

Smaller towns love growth.  More people means more grocery stores, and retailers, and more tax revenue to support filling potholes and building new, state-of-the-art schools.  More restaurants and theaters and maybe a few more doctors and even a new hospital, too.  The improving "quality of life" in turn entices companies looking to relocate or expand to move in, and the cycle repeats itself.

My DF/W Metroplex is now pushing 7.2 million residents.  Houston has 6.7M, Chicago has 9.5M, LA has 13M, NY has 20M, London has 18M, and Tokyo has 38M (metropolitan areas in total).  Which begs the question:  How big is TOO big?

At what point does growth stop being a positive and become a negative?  How many steak houses or burger joints do you need?  Or pediatricians and 24-hour corner urgent care clinics? Or AMC  theaters?  However many you might think appropriate, ask yourself if it's worth the traffic congestion, and road rage, and crime, and the daily frustrations that tie us in knots?  At some point are we really just taking one step forward and two steps backward?

Who benefits, really, from all this growth?  The landowners and developers, for sure. And the select few contractors who can build all those highways and mid-high rise buildings.  And of course the bureaucracy.  More people means more tax revenues, and higher salaries for those who hustle new businesses and make more rules for the rest of us to follow.

It seems like it's all just a giant ego trip.  "My city is bigger than yours.  My airport handles more flights.  My skyline is more dramatic."   Virtually everyone benefits a little I suppose, but IMO most of us are just treading water at best.

My fear now is that someday I might actually be able to move to my dream destination, some comfortable mid-size town in Colorado, only to be run over by a stampede of people fleeing Dallas and LA and Chicago who are following my lead.

Umm, now that I think about it....I didn't write this.  You never read this.  Nice not talking to you.  Bye-bye.  ;)

S

 

12 comments:

  1. I like having development somewhat nearby to visit but wide open spaces are nice. The problem is to get to the wide open spaces people have to keep moving farther and farther away and then of course they start developing that and so on and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prescott Valley, Arizona. You'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, there was a gun show this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a wonderful place...for my winter home. Not sure I could stand your summers.

      Delete
  4. My cousin lived near you in a nice condo. She had a home built in Huntsville Alabama and now has closed on her Condo sell. She enjoyed her time there but is getting close to retirement and wanted less people, cars and congestion. Huntsville has " educated people who enjoy the arts" or so she says. It was a work location for her traveling job and she liked the summers way better and loves the hills.
    Like us thinking about Colorado, going from a no tax state to a high tax state is a concern. Since the late 70's we have been Texas or Alaska residents and taxes scare us. So we are in same boat in some ways. We spend three weeks each summer around the 4th of july in Denver area. Great museums and beautiful country pulls us there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is more a piece about yearning. If D/FW could ban growth, it would go elsewhere. Back there at home, tax revenue isn't making administrators fat cats. It supports infrastructure design, building, modification, upkeep. It pays for safe buildings, safe water, safety forces, firemen. Taxes pay a lot of support staff. Why should a department function with one overworked administrative staffer when it can have two very productive. Underpaid/unpaid staff only work in political campaigns. You get what you pay for, so it could be interesting to learn what you get in Colorado, and what it costs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But my point is, if growth outpaces infrastructure, making life less and less enjoyable, is it worth it? And of course increased taxes pay for all those things you mentioned, but the City Manager, and Asst City Managers, and Directors, and Dept Managers in a city of 2,000,000 people make VASTLY more than those in the same positions in a city of 200,000 people. Upper level city executives definitely "profit" from more and more growth. If tax revenues fall short, it is more likely that city services will be cut than city payroll. Pay freezes, yes, but outright terminations are uncommon, at least around here.

      Delete
    2. The City Manager of Dallas makes $375,000 a year. The City Manager of very progressive suburban McKinney, TX makes $238,000 a year.

      Delete
  6. I can sympathize. 1100 people move to Portland every day and our roads can't handle the traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the small town where I live here in Germany, a new housing area has developed. Hopefully the town can handle all the new residents....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I moved to Albuquerque from San Antonio 20 years ago...once a year I visit my family in SA, and had many of the same thoughts you are having. How many restaurants/strip malls/movie theaters can truly be supported by this huge amoeba-like city? The worst part is there seems to be little concern for open space. And the traffic is awful. IF we move back to Texas, it won't be any of the big cities, because I just can't deal with the sheer mass of people anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small world...I was born ins San Antonio, but my parents moved while I was a small kid. I have a daughter and her family living there now. Yes, all the megalopolises are too big for my tastes, too. Maybe someday I can spring loose.

      Delete