Tuesday, December 27, 2011

These 3-day work weeks are killin' me!

Today on her way out the door K's words to me were, "Go to work, don't die."  So I guess if I make it to work and back alive, or at least without lapsing into a coma, I've successfully completed my employment requirements?  Hmmmm....sounds like a government job.  


Are any of you runners?  I mean recreationally, not from anyone.  I must have had some brain chemical imbalance kick in as I have this urge to run a 5K, maybe even a half-marathon.  K is studying to get her personal trainer certification so I've enlisted her help in preparing me.  (I told her I couldn't afford to pay her anything, but I did offer to sleep with her.  She was not amused.)  She got me hooked up with an app that tells me how to ease into distance running without blowing out needed body parts/joints.  I guess that's what personal trainers do....they have a superior knowledge of all the current fitness apps.  Apparently what I did last week was all wrong.  It seemed simple enough at the time:  Left foot, right foot, left foot, right foot, left......


I wonder if I'll need a helmet?  Or knee/elbow pads?  Or maybe some kind of fall-prevention apparatus?  Does OSHA have any jurisdiction over running?  Jeez, I hope not.


"Go to work, don't die."  Now she has me worried.


S

4 comments:

  1. I'm not one of them, but I know a lot of people in our age group who have taken up running. I have a nice black suit hanging in my closet appropriate for a funeral but nobody has keeled over yet. Thank God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who has run all the big marathons - Boston, New York, etc. Some of them multiple times. He is totally blind. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't run (unless it's after chocolate), but my brother has participated in the New York marathon. He flew from Germany to New York City just to run in this marathon.

    Crazy!

    So, I can't contribute any ideas to your plan, but I knew it... "there is an app for that."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is this working? 2 comments disappeared on Firefox, so I'll try it on IE.

    I prefer cycling to running. It fixed a bad knee that bothered me for years. I don't ride as much except for commuting to work in the winter, though.
    I'm very anti-helmet. I'm no more likely to fall over while cycling than you are while running...
    Wait. Maybe I should look into one.
    :-)
    Happy running, S!

    ReplyDelete