Tuesday, January 6, 2015

"Simply sign in with your username and password, and...."



Here we go again.  They want me to sign in with my username and password on an account I signed up for 2 years ago.  I've slept since then and watched way too many football games to remember some silly password.

And I don't have one single username, or one single password.  The security types will tell you that's the surest way to have your bank account drained before dark.

If I picked ajax (I didn't), one site would want a minimum of 5 letters.  OK then, ajaxx.  Then another would want at least one digit.  Then make it ajaxx1.  Then a third site would want at least one capital letter.  Ajaxx1 for them, then.  Then someone would want it stretched to 8 characters.  *sigh*  Ajaxxxx1, on and on.  Now you tell me, without writing it down, which defeats the purpose of a password, how am I supposed to remember 6 months from now what my password is for site #3?

So you start guessing, but after 2 wrong guesses, they lock down your account.  DOH!  Now you have to call their 800 number and press one for this and two for that, and finally they tell you they will email you another password.

It shows up a few seconds later in your inbox, and it's Gkei86y#.  Well, hell yeah, I'll keep that on the tip of my tongue for....2 nanoseconds.  Maybe.  So I change it to Clorox.  Or was it Comet?  I can't remember.

I tried one of those apps that remembers them all for you, but I forgot what my password to the app was.  And even if I could remember it, they say you should change it at least every 30 days to stay a step ahead of the hackers.

Even the people who I used to go to for techie help are now getting left behind by the newest generation of technology.  Now even they are throwing up their hands.

I like the blond who listed her password as "MickeyMinnieDonaldGoofySleepyHappySneezyDopeySacramento".  She said she was just following instructions:  They asked for 8 characters and one capital.

I think I'll just be a 21st Century dropout.  :) 

S


8 comments:

  1. OMG, don't even get me started on passwords. I finally downloaded the "free" version of Keeper. I use it all the time because I don't even bother to try to remember passwords anymore, so although it's annoying to sign into it all the time for said passwords, it is rather handy. Except: with the free version, they are CONSTANTLY bugging you to buy it. So nearly every time I log in I have to click the "i don't want to keep all of this secure" button before continuing.
    There is no easy answer.
    Maybe we should go back to snail mail ~ I've only had my mail stolen once so far.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know i only have one password but I don't shop online and none of my financial info is online, or so I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spot on! I used to have 12 different passwords at work and dreaded coming back from vacation because I forgot half of them. At work they forced you to change your password every month. Eventually devices and apps will be verified by a thumb print, not a password. I will be ready for that as I am often told I am all thumbs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man this is so true! Although you left out the part where some sites require a special character too. @$$holes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I began writing down my passwords for various sites. I now have one VERY LONG piece of paper that I have to search through. Computers were supposed to simplify our lives. Right????

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm famous for my cryptic passwords. For example, I might use Mbfh2bp - which is easy to remember: My best friend has 2 black poodles. You could also use something you have to remember - like your anniversary: OwaioM71989, for "Our wedding anniversary is on May 7th 1989."

    Of course that doesn't solve the issue about what password you used for which site...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use pencil and tiny note book which I keep in a safe. It is a pain and I know they swear it is a bad idea, but it works for me. As for banks, ask and give them correct info and money can only be moved one place. It prevents someone from transferring money to another place. Of course you have more to remember then.
    I just do not trust PW's being stored on a cloud or my computer.

    ReplyDelete