Sunday, December 10, 2017

How will you die?


I recently read an interesting article that asked "How will you die"?  It sounds like a rather morbid topic, but if you think about it, it's a legitimate question.  Hopefully none of us have received a medical diagnosis giving us X months to live, therefore we likely just don't know.  


I suppose if you're a base jumper or a wing-suit flyer a "wardrobe malfunction" or a slight miscalculation could result in your untimely demise.  If you're a gang member, especially in a place like Chicago or St Louis, you might die in a violent shooting.  And it isn't hard to imagine a top member of the Trump administration being bludgeoned to death in prison.  But I doubt many of us fall into any of those categories.  So, what do you think will get you?  Stepping on a rusty nail?  Choking on a chicken bone?

For myself....hmmmm.  There was once a time in my life a chance I might have fallen off a cliff, or walked into an airplane propeller or been sucked into a jet engine, but those days are now mostly behind me.  I do drive daily in Dallas' insane traffic, so I suppose it's possible that might do me in some day.  I'm very careful with my firearms, so I doubt I'll pop a cap in m'self.

I have heart arrhythmia, but my pacemaker is ticking away like one of John Cameron Swayze's old Timex watches....no problem.  Otherwise my heart and all associated plumbing are in good shape.  I don't smoke, and I'm told my lungs are better than great.  I rarely drink, so I'm guessing my liver is safe, and my kidneys seem to be working as advertised, too.

No, I think some freak viral pandemic will eventually get me.  I had (past tense) a super strong, aggressive immune system, which oddly enough caused problems of its own, so I'm now taking meds to slow it down.  Now I'll probably be attacked by a flock of wayward mosquitoes carrying some deadly virus, or stung by that herd of killer ants making their way up from Mexico.  (All together now...."BUILD...THAT...WALL!  BUILD...THAT...WALL!")  *snort*

Maybe those crazy birds from Asia will find me here in Dallas and dump a load of their infected poop on me.  I really have no idea, but with my luck, it will likely be something weird that turns me into fertilizer.

How about you?  Venture a guess?

S

7 comments:

  1. Alas, short of nuclear war radiation (missile base in MT) I have a pretty good idea. But I still go on short hikes so the errant Griz might have a snack. I just hope to live to see the trump booted out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to die like the Italian poet Pietro Aretino, who died laughing with two pretty girls on his lap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I used to go to that place, too. I think they closed it years ago. ;)

      Delete
  3. My Doc says I will die of a heart attack soon. Something could get me before then I suppose. The days of dieing from a gunshot by a jealous husband are behind me now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. as you know, I survived one plane crash (and when you see the pictures) it really makes you wonder how I managed! Oh, well...that's life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to die like my mother-in-law did: she fell asleep in her recliner.

    ReplyDelete