Saturday, August 25, 2018

My personal John McCain story


In 1996 Sen. Phil Gramm was running for President, and Sen. John McCain was campaigning for him ahead of the first-in-the-nation political primary in Iowa. (I think that would have made this sometime in 1995.) I was attending an airshow in Ankeny, Iowa, participating as the advance man for an invited CAF team. Before the gates opened to let the crowd in, and while my guys were up preparing for their act, I was just wandering around taking in the sights.

Out of nowhere I was approached by Sen. McCain. He said he was a bit early, introduced himself (of course I knew of him already) and we sat and talked one-on-one. He put me at complete ease, acted "normal"...humble even...while we had a nice, casual conversation for about 20 minutes. I mentioned he had been in the Hanoi Hilton with my Congressman, Sam Johnson, and it was like we were long-time buddies. He told stories, I asked some current event questions, and he answered with complete candor, devoid of any two-faced BS the way every other politician I've ever known would have. With sincere smiles we eventually shook hands again and he said he had enjoyed our visit, then he went off to "press the flesh" on behalf of Sen. Gramm as the crowd began to filter in.

Senator John McCain passed away today. I can honestly say I knew him personally and felt he was a sincere man of great integrity. I know he's in a comfortable place now, and I feel better knowing that.

RIP my friend.

6 comments:

  1. You're a lucky man. Though I disagreed with the Senator on many things, he had my utmost respect. We've lost a great man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great story!

    I can't say that I agreed with or even completely understood much about his voting record, but he seems to have been authentic and human in a way I don't see much in politics anymore. He responded to events the way a real person would and not a computer programmed with party platform talking points.

    I worry about that - that we're losing authenticity and humanity in ideology.

    He was nearly the last of the old school. It's a sad day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A maverick to the end, telling Trump to stay the hell away from his funeral.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful memory and tribute. He was certainly a great man of both character and determination. I greatly admired the fact that he respected other points of view and welcomed discussion and debate. My home state and the entire nation has lost a great man.

    ReplyDelete