Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Do I know you? No? Great....let's keep it that way.

Have you noticed how UN-social we've become?  People are withdrawing, to one degree or another, from social interaction.  It's been a creeping thing for years, but now it seems to me it's becoming a stampede.  The most obvious example of this....



Texting

Given a choice, people....young people in particular, would prefer to not talk to other humans, ever.  Instead of going to see our neighbor two houses down the street, or calling them, we text them.  People go out for dinner, and then spend half their time texting, sometimes to the person sitting right across the table from them!




Shopping

It's estimated that 20% of American shopping malls will close within 5 years.  People are just not going out shopping like they used to.  Toys R Us, Radio Shack, Circuit City, and Blockbuster, among many others, are long gone.  Sears and Kmart are dead men walking, JC Penny isn't far behind, and even big chains like Macy's are closing stores as fast as they can.  Yet online retailers are THRIVING!  (OK....guilty.  Just this week I placed online orders with Amazon, LL Bean, and REI.)



You can even buy a car online without ever speaking to a live homo sapien!  That is, those who still want to drive can.  I recently read that the average young person doesn't even bother getting their driver's license until they're 19 years old.  In my day (as we old farts used to say) we were at the DMV at 6 am on our 16th birthday to be first in line to get our license.  Auto makers are seeing a trend of "car sharing", where a number of people will buy a car together, then take their turn driving it on the increasingly rare times they have to venture out of their house/apartment.

It wasn't long ago that if you wanted a meal of a slightly higher caliber than a drive-thru joint, you had to go INSIDE, be seated by a human, tell a human what you wanted, and pay a human on your way out.  



Today we have home delivery via Grub Hub and Uber Eats.  Just place your order and pay online, in half an hour open your door up just wide enough for someone to slip your food to you, then slam the door and lock it again.  No eye contact necessary.  *sweet!*



Many local grocery stores are now making home deliveries, and they all allow you to order everything from beans to toilet paper online, then just pull up curbside where they will hand you your assembled order.  (Coming to a complete stop is appreciated.)



If you're feeling puny, you can call any number of online doctors who will examine you long distance (?) and in many cases send you a prescription from a mail-order pharmacy.  (Just hold your camera phone up to your open mouth and say 'ahh'.)  Why go out to see a doctor or to a hospital (oh, many hospitals are closing, too) when you can sit at home and get fixed?

Will dermatology eventually become an extinct medical specialty?   Today dermatologists are in their heyday, treating all of us who regularly went outside when we were younger and now have skin cancer.  Soon we won't go outside enough to absorb any of those evil rays that give us problems 30 years down the road.  *note to self:  sell all suntan lotion stock*

Are we just getting lazier, or just more scared to interact with others?  Gee thanks Gates, Jobs, Bezos, and Zuckerberg.  *sigh*

S


9 comments:

  1. Some things I still prefer to do in person like grocery shopping. I ordered some creamer cups from Walmart once and the box they gave me expired 2 months earlier! Store employees aren't going to check freshness dates or squeeze the melons for you. They'll just grab whatever is easiest. A car is another thing I would never buy online. I don't want to deal with the salesman but at least I need to test drive it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I have to actually type this comment? I was hoping there was some sort of automatic commenting system that would do it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Google Assistant, please type this comment on Scott's blog."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't top Harry (above-)but I agree whole-heartedly. In my small MT town Penny's is long gone, the one local large clothing store is closing, Kmart long gone, only place to shop for clothes is walmart. I see the UPS truck at least 2-4 times a day just on my block. My oldest buys (pardon the pun) into it, the youngest oddly resists and insists on going out to shop. I think I'll be just fine that I won't be here to witness the complete isolation of the human race, though with trump in the WH, it's understandable to disappear.
    Cheers, Mike

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel Facebook is the ' Tower of Babel ' spoken of in the Bible. The downfall of mankind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Number 7 (no names, please), your order is ready.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always shake my head at the prediction of malls experiencing downturns or even closing. You should go to the malls around the Tampa Bay Area - they always seem to be crowded with shoppers. So don't write off malls just quite yet!

    Agree with you on other things. I think curbside pickup or delivery of groceries and restaurant meals is great for moms with young kids, people who are disabled, etc. But I personally like squeezing the Charmin before I buy.

    *Note to self: sell sunscreen stock, buy Vitamin D stock. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm VERY SAD that we don't have the grocery option around here - well, at least the store we like best doesn't have it. I hate going to the store - any store! However, there are some things that I can't really buy online - shoes, pants, ice cream...

    ReplyDelete