Thursday, November 9, 2017

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem....


Millions of Americans across the country are demanding gun control in response to the new reality of seemingly monthly mass shootings, and just gun violence in general.  I'd like to ask those of you who agree with this sentiment to participate in a little exercise.  I'm not baiting anyone, but looking for some real (possible) answers to a real problem.

My exercise goes like this:  If you were a member of Congress and you wanted to introduce a bill relating to gun control, what would you include in your proposal?  For example, "Prohibit the future manufacture, importation, and sale of automatic / semi-automatic rifles", or "No handguns larger than ___ caliber", or "No magazines containing more than ___ rounds".  Would you address the 250-300 million guns that are already in public hands?

Question 2:  If enacted, how would you enforce it?  Would you leave it up to local / state law enforcement, or the ATF, or the FBI, or all the above?  Regardless, it would seem like they would have to take time away from other duties to enforce your new gun control law.  Do you think that's wise?  Or would you establish a new law enforcement body to police just this one thing?  Who would pay for this?  Would this be an "unfunded mandate" (requiring someone to do something, without providing them the funding to do it)?

Question 3:  What would you do with those brought in for violating your new gun control law?  Our Constitution allows everyone their day in court.  By all accounts our court system, at every level, already has a considerable backlog of cases waiting to be heard.  Would you provide for a new, single issue "Gun Violation Court"?  If so, this would require physical courtrooms and offices, clerks, bailiffs, judges, etc.  How would all those be paid for?

Question 4:  Assuming you could resolve Question 3, what would you do with those convicted?  I'm going to assume that in your new gun violation roundup you would also automatically include those you find who are already prohibited from possessing a firearm, such as previously convicted felons.  I would also assume you would go after black market sellers, too.  Do we have enough state and / or federal prisons & jailers to handle them all?  I've heard it costs tens-of-thousands of dollars to incarcerate one prisoner for just one year.  How would these costs be funded?

One final rule:  You can't just say, "I don't know how they'd do it, but they'd just have to find a way", or "I dunno, they're smart guys up there in Washington.  Let them figure it out."  Put on the table some concrete ideas that real lawmakers could build on.  Even if you can only contribute a little, you'll be light years ahead of those who are just perpetual whiners.

Now, independent of this exercise, tell me....what do you think the odds are a real bill similar to what you've suggested would have of garnering the votes of 50% +1 in the House of Representatives and the Senate, and be signed by the President?  (Forget for a second the NRA exists.)  

Thanks for participating.

S


9 comments:

  1. I would want a federal license proving knowledge of firearms,their safe use and a comprehensive background check in order to own or purchase a firearm. Anyone with a firearm without a license to show upon request by police, firing range or ranger would risk losing the firearm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent input, Joe. One question: He would just lose his firearm, no fine or jail time?

      Delete
    2. Hmmm...I was not expecting that to be a good idea. With 37 seconds to think, I'd say first offense no fine, second a fine third jail.

      Delete
    3. No, I think these are some really good, common sense ideas that many reasonable people could embrace. I personally don't think just relinquishing your gun is strong enough....a gang banger would likely just laugh at you as he throws his gun out the window and drives off. And I don't think this would at all satisfy the hard core gun control advocates who want to actually outlaw certain types of guns, such as "assault rifles". But this might could be refined and developed into something that could be "sold" to Main Street America.

      Delete
  2. I like Joe's answer. I think guns should be impounded until such a time as an owner can secure a license or permit. I doubt it could be kept permanently since it's private property but cars are impounded if a driver doesn't have a license.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guns are machines and as such never do anything without human input. Humans are the problem. In most cases someone knows Mr X is going to massacre people or kill someone. Getting a toll free ' hey this is getting scary' number that would alert law enforcement to a 'possible' situation would stop most crimes like this. IMO.
    I think a 20 round magazine should be max allowed.
    All toys like bump stocks and bumper cranks should be taken on sight. No fine.
    No grey rules like the last gun ban. It got a lot of innocent people in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the hotline idea Zippy. My only concern is that it would be overwhelmed with prank callers, for example kids trying to get other kids in trouble...bullying of sorts. And there is no way to condone bump stocks or similar end run contraptions..GONE!

      Delete
  4. None of the above. I'd ju st take my contribution from the NRA (with a side thank you note to gun manufacturers) and put it in the bank. I'd put a notice on my FB page to my constituents that I'd been busy protecting their sacred second amendment rights, and join the rest of my colleagues in voting down any suggestion of restricting gun regs, including large magazines, silencers, bump stocks, etc. Then I'd join them in voting against any group being denied access to guns, any form of licensing at gun shows, or private sales. Then I'd sit back and open the next envelope from the NRA, the same one my colleagues are opening, and smile a contented smile.
    Cheers,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete