Wednesday, November 22, 2017

My Thanksgiving memories

Do people actually eat like this on Thanksgiving?  Is this just some Rockwellian myth?

My mom was the sweetest, most wonderful person you'd ever hope to meet.  Kind, compassionate, friendly....I was fortunate to be able to call this wonderful lady my "Mom".  She had many talents, but cooking was NOT one of them.  I think her culinary goal was to just feed us something that would keep us alive until her next cooking attempt.  As bro and I made it to adulthood, I guess she was a success.  In her defense, she was never taught by her mom to cook because her mom never learned how to cook, either.  It seems my great grandparents were well off and had a live-in cook / housekeeper / nanny who handled all those plebeian chores.


I was grown and married before I ever knew Thanskgiving meals didn't come from Wyatt's cafeteria in a box.

The family story was that mom tried to cook our traditional Thanksgiving meal a couple of times before the rest of the family took a vote and asked her to just stop.  Instead they showed her a flyer that came in the mail advertising a complete Thanksgiving feast pre-cooked.  "Just call BR-549 and reserve yours now!"  

For a little more than 3-times what it would cost for her to buy the ingredients and cook it herself, mom could just drive to Wyatt's cafeteria and pay the nice lady a tidy sum and in exchange take home a "Bird In A Box", complete with all the trimmings.  Whoa!  Sometimes, just to mess with us, she'd bring home a "Honey Ham In A Box".  We never complained because, either way, it was better than her well-intentioned kitchen efforts.

Now here we are many Birds In A Box later, and tomorrow we're going to Kelly's sister's house for Thanksgiving.  She's a wonderful, if nontraditional, cook.  No Big Bird, dressing and all that. Nope, we're having a Mexican Thanksgiving meal.  We're taking avocados, tortillas, "crusty" bread, and a Tres Leche cake.  I'm sure it will be fantastic, but I'll confess, it just won't feel right sitting down to a fancy holiday meal that didn't come in a box.

Ah...the good 'ol days!  

Hope you have a great one.  :)

S


7 comments:

  1. My mom never knew how to thaw the bird. How we survived on slightly pink turkey I'll never know...it was always moist though.

    Just glad they got us to 21 safe and alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We never did the carving thing like on TV. My dad or mom would usually cut it up beforehand. What really stinks is having my birthday on Thanksgiving like next year. I'm just glad the next time won't be until about 2029 thanks to leap year. It would be easier if I liked turkey but I really don't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad was in charge of the turkey & gravy - mom handled everything else. She wasn't a very good cook when they got married, but by the time I was old enough to pay attention she had gotten her groove on.

    Nowadays, we have a big family gathering with my dad's side of the family. There are 30+ of us, so we use a church fellowship hall. I'm not much of a turkey eater - I would much rather have the meal you're going to have. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your Mexican Thanksgiving. And please give my best to your wonderful family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're having braised short ribs at the BRD's house. But like her mother, she's a wonderful cook so I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never had turkey until I was in my 20's (my ex-mother-in-law one time asked me if they had Thanksgiving in Germany and I had to tell her we had no Indians and no Pilgrims in Germany). Now Thanksgiving is my second-favorite holiday, and I'm all about the turkey and stuffing and gravy... I've become VERY Americanized.

    So will you make a turkey meal for yourselves, after the actual day?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanksgiving has always been like your first pic until I moved away from home. Since then it is more about friends and family.

    ReplyDelete