Sunday, January 21, 2018

Why yes, I always carry my pet snake around my neck. Doesn't everybody?


Yesterday I had the opportunity to accompany the Mrs to an anti-Trump rally in downtown Dallas.  The first thing I noticed when we arrived was how flamboyant many of the protesters were.   For example, there were a few holding signs that said "F___TRUMP!", and a contingent from the LGBT community wearing rainbow flags as capes and dressed in attire hoping to get themselves on the 6 PM news.  It seemed to me they were appealing to those already on their side. 

Several of the speakers, based on their manner of presentation (not necessarily their agenda) were obviously, to me at least, in need of medication.  Their common stated goal was to see President Trump out of office and a Democratic majority in power.  I don't see how they could think their behavior and inflamed, angry rhetoric would help their cause.  (On the other side, literally and figuratively, and with police in between, were the white supremacists dressed in all black spewing their venom.)

Politically speaking, a poll taken late last year showed 24% of Americans identify themselves as Republicans, 31% identify themselves as Democrats,  BUT 42% IDENTIFY THEMSELVES AS INDEPENDENTS.  It will always be these independent voters who will push one party or the other over the top into power.

I remember decades ago during the Vietnam war when Senator Eugene McCarthy was running for the Democratic presidential nomination.  His campaign appealed to many youths (read: hippies) who were tired of the establishment.  They were often a rather unwashed looking group, so McCarthy implored his kids to "Be Clean For Gene".  He didn't ask them to give up their anti-war message, but to come across as thoughtful, respectful citizens not likely to repulse the independents whose votes they were courting.  A shallow charade?  Ummm, yes, but a smart charade if they expected to woo Main Street Americans.  (I guess they weren't clean enough as McCarthy didn't get the nomination.)

I see the Democrats in a similar position today.  By all means they should hold their rallies, carry their signs, make their speeches, and ask for volunteers and support.  But it seems to me they would have better success getting their school teacher neighbor, their plumber, their HR director at work, etc, to vote for their cause if they came across as more disciplined and less flamboyant.  Yes, shallow or not, image matters.

Just my opinion....

S

EDIT:  My wife has taken exception to my phrase, "there was a 'contingent'...."  There were not dozens, if that's your definition of "contingent", but there were three wearing flags as capes, one guy wearing a plaid skirt (I don't think it was a kilt), one guy wearing Ragged Ann-style makeup, and a dozen +/- signs saying "F___". 

If there comes a time when an opposition party sends a cameraman there, rest assured those are the ones they will put front and center on their campaign literature to use as scare tactics.  I say why give them any ammunition.

Again, just my opinion....

11 comments:

  1. Walk the mile in their shoes, then make an informed judgment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I understand what you're saying, Joanne. "Walk a mile"....are you suggesting unless I'm LGBT I should have no opinion on equal rights? Unless I'm a woman I should have no opinion on sexual harassment? Unless I can't afford health insurance I should have no opinion on health care? Just does one become "informed"?

      Delete
    2. You're good to read, L&S, but I avoid commenting to avoid the lecture. You chastise appearance as off-putting to the voters who matter. Those folks out there are the voters who matter; they made a difference last November. I believe they will turn the Congress this November. They probably won't wear pink hats to the polling station, or carry signs. They'll just show up and vote. Your vote matters, too. Please vote.

      Delete
    3. I didn't mean to lecture Joanne, but I had a legitimate question. Of course their vote matters, and their lifestyle is their business. And I wouldn't vote AGAINST the House and/or Senate flipping this November. But the whole point of active campaigning is to convince those who are unsure about voting for you to do so. If you lose some potential supporters here or there due to coarse vulgar language (F__TRUMP) or flamboyant dress, you're shooting yourself in the foot. In a close race they ALL matter, not just those who already agree with your positions. And of course I'll vote. Thanks for your visit and comments. :)

      Delete
    4. I wonder if you sound like your father. (Get a haircut!) Now that's all I have to say, except, please vote.

      Delete
    5. Ha! Good Point. Yes, I suppose I probably do. But along with the grumpy old man part comes experience, too, so I'd say it was a fair trade off.

      Delete
  2. Sure, Trump got elected by being disciplined and not flamboyant. lol Old straight white gun-loving men are not really the ones who are going to vote for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trump was elected for two main reasons: There were a substantial number of people in the rust belt states who were bitter about being left behind by "the establishment", and Hillary Clinton was a highly detested candidate by many, and even with that albatross around her neck she still got more popular votes. If you look at current demographics, unless you can appeal to a sizable number of old (over 65=14.5% of the population), straight (the majority), white (73% of the population), gun-loving (33% of the population), men (just > than 50%) you're fighting an uphill battle. I know, an inconvenient truth.

      Delete
    2. But you guys are Republicans so there's no point to appealing to you. You guys still voted for Roy Moore for crying out loud. It was the minority voters, especially black women, who swung that election.

      Delete
    3. "But you guys are Republicans so there's no point to appealing to you." That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard you say, Pat. When recent (presidential) elections have been decided roughly 50.1 to 49.9, every vote counts. To just write off an entire demographic group is a slam dunk plan to lose. *shaking my head*

      Delete
  3. I thought of a better example to illustrate my position: If you were applying for a job, woudln't you show up for your interview with your hair combed, your clothes pressed, and your shoes shined? Wouldn't your resume be well written, and your verbal presentation eloquently professional? Why shouldn't candidates and their supporters do the same? Be Clean For Gene is good advise for all time.

    ReplyDelete