Thursday, December 20, 2012

The End is Near-ish


So how is this "End of the World" thing gonna happen?  If I understand it correctly, the Mayans in their infinite wisdom have it figured tomorrow is "the day".  "Turn out the lights, the party's over".  It sounds rather silly to me, but then again, who knows?

If it turns out to be true I'd hate for my last meal to be a grilled cheese sandwich.  And I wouldn't want to spend my last day on earth rotating the tires on my car.  And why ruin my last day by balancing my checkbook or going grocery shopping?  To the contrary, I'm thinking about blowing all I have and then some on something really decadent.  Maybe I could drive my new Maserati to III Forks for a juicy, medium rare steak.

Do I dare chance it?  What if the Mayans were wrong?  I can't afford a new freakin' Maserati!


OK....OK....I'VE GOT IT!  We should be able to see this end of the world thing coming, right?  Wouldn't it start over in the western Pacific at the International Date Line?  Then it would work it's way around the world one time zone at a time.  Yeah, that's it.  By the time "the end" made it to Hawaii I would be behind the wheel of my new dream car.  By the time the lights went out in LA I'd be savoring my last bite of steak.  

As things got quiet in Denver I'd be assembling the kids and grand kidlettes in order to watch them open their Christmas presents.  Then we'd be off to the airport (no need for luggage....security should be a breeze!) where my private (rented) jet would be waiting to take us to maybe Paris....no....MONACO!  Wonder if we'd have time for a stopover in Switzerland?  I've never been there and it sounds pretty cool.

Hmmm....maybe I should have been accepting all those credit card offers I get every day in the mail that I've been pre-approved for.  We could've had one epic "Going Out With a Bang!" party.  Oh well, too late to worry about it now.

We could wind down the day in Singapore.  (Is that east or west of the IDL?  I'd better research it.)  Then we could sit and rest a while and thank God for all He's done for us and tell Him again what a great Boss he's been to us all.

Yep, I think I'll take today off work.  I have some shopping to do.  (But I'll keep the receipts just in case.)  *wink*

S


7 comments:

  1. The Myans never figured in leap year, so you may be off a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be really annoyed if the world ends while I'm at work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always skeptical of these things but then there's always that little voice that says, Well what if this wacko is the wacko who's actually right? If we all manage to survive I'll be glad this is over with. People have been talking about it for decades it seems like.

    I wonder though with the International Date Line and all that when it is still 12/21/12 in the whole world. It'd probably be really early in America. So maybe I'll get woke up at 2am by a huge earthquake followed by the Rapture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone called to my attention the fact that the Mayan calendar doesn't include Leap Year like ours calendar does, which means the world ended long ago. We were all too busy blogging to notice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In your plan, you're going the wrong way! You'd have to start out in Monaco and then come over here. LA would get hit last in the continental US and Hawaii would be dead last.

    At least that's how time travels. But maybe you figured the end of time would be different.

    Tell you what - if it hits me first, I'll call you and you'll have an hour to party. Just make sure you return the favor if it travels the other way and I have an extra hour, OK?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops! Oh well Peeper...it doesn't matter after all. They didn't figure in leap years, so I don't get my Maserati. How fair is that?

    S

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'd be quite happy if my last meal on earth was a grilled cheese sandwich. I never make grilled cheese ... and now I kind of want one. To the sandwich press!!!

    ReplyDelete