Monday, February 20, 2012

Strange....or spot on?

Over the weekend I stumbled on to a new series on the National Geographic Channel called Doomsday Preppers.  It's about people who think their world is about to collapse and are putting away food and water and ammo in preparation.  (Not to be confused with Mormons, who have long advocated keeping a years supply of food on hand at all times.)  It's really both part sad and part funny to watch.  Most are just a bunch of bubbas who live in "compounds" out in the sticks with buildings bulging with thousands of cases of canned goods, barrels full of potable water, and LOTS of guns.  



And what they're afraid of is almost comical.  For instance, one guy thinks the north and south poles will switch places, royally screwing things up on earth.  Another is afraid solar flares will fry everything electronic on earth, leaving those unprepared cold and hungry, with no trucks to deliver food to the stores, no cars to get to work, and for that matter no workplaces to go to.  Possible?  Sure, but I think I'll take my chances.  They have remote food caches, "bug-out" routes, and back-up defense measures (bows and arrows) in case they run out of ammo.


One guy, however, seemed like he wasn't a bubba, and in fact seemed quite normal.  His fear?  We're headed towards a world-wide economic collapse.  Seeing as how we came a lot closer than most of us realize back in 2008, and in fact Europe is still on the edge right now, his concerns aren't as far fetched.  


I'm still not ready to run out and buy 50,000 cans of beans and a years supply of freeze-dried chili, however.  For one thing I don't have a place to store it all, and certainly no place to stock the thousands of rolls of toilet paper such a diet would necessitate.  I do have three boxes of microwave popcorn in the pantry, though.  I wonder if I could use that to barter for some Snickers bars and maybe a Coke?  If so, then I'm good.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And to turn the topic around 180 degrees, according to the NYT, the Urban Man lives!  Their headline reads, "Men Step Out of the Recession, Bag on Hip, Bracelet on Wrist".  They go on to say "men are buying so many accessories that some forecasters predict sales growth....this year will set a 20-year high."  To appeal to men they're not calling bracelets "bracelets", but "wristwear".  And it's not a purse or a "murse" (Man pURSE....get it?), but a "holdall".  

"Bracelets (I thought we just decided to call it "wristwear"?) are on fire right now", said Tim Bess, a trend forecaster.  "I'd say it's the No. 1 look for the young man."  

"Young man"?  I must admit I've worn one for years.  I knew if I wore it long enough the trend would come around and I'd be considered fashionable.  'Bout damn time!  :)

S


6 comments:

  1. The focus of your post is strangely similar to the one I posted this morning called "The Bomb Shelter Game." Coincidence? Great minds thinking alike? That can't be it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen....I just read your post and thought the same thing. Great minds thinking alike? No way. You have much more gray matter than me. :)

    S

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two are funny - but it IS disturbing that I've been reading about doomsday all morning. Sheesh!

    Now I understand why Mike bought a 24 pack of TP the other week. But I don't know where he's hidden the chili.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE that show! AND it did make us think - we decided we have NO where near enough ammo but we also decided that the world cannot descend into disaster until the gun show comes back to town so we can buy more ammo - i am NOT paying full retail!

    Don't forget we also have a strangely large amount of oatmeal and protein bars.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sky is falling! The world is ending! Poles are switching! Obama's gonna take my guns away! The economy will collapse!

    I better replenish my stash of chocolate.

    (Seriously, I have supplies to carry us through a serious blizzard or a wicked hurricane or a five-day flu that would confine us to the house, but other than that, we'd be up that one creek without a paddle)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is not my first time to go to see this website, i am browsing this
    web page dailly and take fastidious facts from here every day.



    my weblog: external link

    ReplyDelete