Sunday, July 15, 2012

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades


It definitely does NOT apply to thunderstorms.  From mid-afternoon yesterday I watched the radar as thunderstorms began percolating in southeastern Oklahoma.  The best part was they were moving towards me, which is very unusual as most of our weather forms to our southwest.  By 6 pm I received a text message that a severe thunderstorm warning had been issued for my county (nothing damaging expected, just rain, thunder and lightning).  WooHoo!

Wouldn't you know it....just as it arrived on the outskirts of my very town, it fell apart.  We had a little wind, a couple of claps of thunder, and barely enough rain to wet the street.  About the only benefit I got of all this were some gorgeous cloud photos at sunset like the one above, taken looking south from my den window.  

Maybe today will bring us another chance.  Happy Sunday everyone.  ;)

S

4 comments:

  1. I got caught last week in a sudden storm. Gusts up to 75, rain in sheets, all power down, no street or traffic lights, me and my son in a soft top wrangler. It was not fun. Well it was fun after it passed and we changed our underwear.

    cranky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photograph. I heard about really bad flooding in Texas and I was hoping you'd been spared, but a bit more rain in your region would undoubtedly be welcome. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so frustrating when you desparately need rain and somehow the area where you live seems to be in a bubble.

    We are in our typical summer weather pattern here: a thunderstorm and an intense downpour of rain every afternoon at 3:54 p.m. It lasts for 12 minutes and 23 seconds and turns everything into a steambath. Welcome to summer in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we have been having more thunder storms in my world then usual.... really weird... more like April then July! grrrrrrr

    ReplyDelete