Thursday, July 5, 2012

Drill, baby, drill...

I get so sick of opening the news every morning and seeing almost every world news article datelined Syria, Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, the PLO, etc.  They're nuts!  I think the Brits opened a can of worms a hundred years ago when they found oil in the mid-east and began transitioning the industrial revolution from coal to oil.  (Well....it's a tough call.  Coal is pretty nasty stuff.)


I'm encouraged that we're making real progress, although almost accidentally, towards energy independence.  It comes with strings attached, and we'll have to be very careful extracting it, but it'll be worth it to be able to thumb our noses at that region.  Shame we didn't take all that money that we've dumped into that black hole over the years and instead used it to develop a way to burn political promises or manure (same thing) or cat hair balls.


They can Shiite all over each other for all I care. 


S




5 comments:

  1. Well then.

    I think all this fracking and whatnot is just a band-aid. Sure maybe with that we can stretch our oil supply to last until 2100 instead of 2050, but it's still not going to last forever which is why we need to continue working on renewable sources of energy like solar and wind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, on your blog list you should really change the Grumpy Bulldog Blog to my new blog (http://www.ptdilloway.com) I'm just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks PT. I will. And you're right...oil isn't the "forever" answer, but it can bridge the gap until.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2100? I won't be around, but if technology advances 1/2 as much as the last 100 years (and it is changing expometially) we should be all right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second PT's comments. Solar and wind are the way to go.

    ReplyDelete