Monday, July 30, 2012

Bionic eyes?



Yesterday I was watching Olympic women's doubles diving (synchronized diving?), and I must say I have no idea how the judges decide who wins and who loses.  I mean, the entire dive takes .004 seconds and includes a flip and a couple of twists and who knows what else.  How can anyone see things that fast?


"Oh, Brad, how unfortunate!  Did you notice her ring finger on her left hand?  It was ever-so-slightly kinked, while her partner's was straight.  And that twitch in her left eye!  The judges are going to rip her a new one for that lapse of concentration.  Ten-years of training down the drain.  At least a full point deduction."


All I saw was "jump / splash", and it was kinda blurred.



5 comments:

  1. I so agree,these are great athletes who have made great sacrifices to achieve near perfection and yet as a sport...I DON'T CARE. I would watch as an exhibetion, but to win or lose based on the amount of splash?

    I'm watching baseball!

    cranky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I imagine the original Olympics were designed to encourage physical feats useful in times of war: archery, running, javelin throwing and so on, but what's the point of synchronized diving? I mean, if you aren't training for the Olympics, how useful is it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup. I'm with joeh. I watched the Diamondbacks and the Mets. (Damned knuckleballer!) I check on the medal count from time to time but haven't watched any events so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LUV love LOVE luv LOVEEEE the Olympics - I will watch any sport they have - because it's about working your ass off and making your dreams come true and in MOST of the Olympic sports there's not great amazing MILLION dollar sponsorship/contract BS - it's about HEART. AND we really don't see a whole lot of that these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Kelly. Although I also have been watching baseball instead. Oops :)

    ReplyDelete