Wednesday, August 22, 2012

I should do this more often

WOW!  What a great birthday so far!  I took the dog out this morning at oh-dark-thirty to find the temperature at 63 degrees.  Woohoo!  Then I came back in to a big plate of brownies K made for me, complete with "Happy B-Day" written across it.  I would show it to you, but I've already eaten "Happ..".  Yes, I had a brownie for breakfast.  Sue me. ;)

Today is supposedly the first day of my semi-retirement, but all I see ahead of me is work.  Besides the client I met with last Saturday, another one of our homeowners from 16 years ago has sold their home and wants us to build them another.  I've been helping them look for some property, and yesterday they made an offer on one and it was accepted.  Looks like the next step is to visit the architect.  Then another one of our homeowners, this one from 14 years ago, wants to meet today to discuss building them a new home, too.  Looks like I'll have to postpone "sleeping in" for a while longer.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Looks like this election will be the most expensive ever....to the tune of $2 BILLION dollars spent, which means at least that much was donated to the politicians all combined, right?

OK, let's think this through:  We have a TRILLION dollar deficit and our Congress / President are beating the bushes looking for ways to save a buck.  They've come up with the noble idea of closing tax loopholes and ending expensive subsidies to selected companies and industries, ideas which have been (on the surface) universally praised.  

At the same time rich individuals and large corporations and their PAC's have donated the vast bulk of that $2,000,000,000 the politicians have in their re-election war chests.  So we're to believe they're giving generously to politicians to show their support for them for closing THEIR tax loopholes and ending THEIR subsidies?

Why yes, I would like to buy a time share in a high-rise ocean-view condo in Nebraska, complete with a private white sandy beach and palm trees.  Who should I make the check payable to?

S




7 comments:

  1. think how much more good that money could have done if given directly to the government to allay some of the debt instead of spending it on television commercials.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are really not very good at this retirement thing are you?

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE BEST DAD!!!!!
    I hope you have a fantastic day and I can't wait to celebrate on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know they had beaches in Nebraska. I'm off to Google Earth this. Glad you're in such great demand. Retirement can wait, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday! I can't really wrap my brain around that kind of money, so instead I'm going to go eat lunch :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't do them too often! Once a year is probably a good guide. Brownies for breakfast mind you, anytime you can!

    ReplyDelete
  7. On your birthday, brownies are a perfectly balanced breakfast food. Hope you had a good one!

    ReplyDelete