Sunday, September 8, 2013

Saturday was a rare "double your fun" kind of day

Yesterday was both the first Saturday Cars and Coffee AND the 10th Annual Italian Car Club of North Texas car show.  Cars in the morning, football in the evening.  Doesn't get any better!



It was another miserably hot summer Texas day, but at least there were some clouds around that gave us a little respite.  I met my friend Neil around 7:30 and we promptly began comparing notes on how we would spend our lottery winnings.




We both agreed dropping a few coins on this custom Porsche would be a fun investment.


This BMW Z3 M Coupe is just odd enough to be interesting.  And I like the color, too.


The Audi TT seems to have lost some of it uniqueness, but I'd still like to have one.  This TT RS was slick!


I've never been a big fan of the Chevrolet "fiberglass coffin", but if the Lottery Commission said it was mandatory that all winners must buy one, I'd go for an older model like this.


My very first car was a 1965 Mustang.  Unfortunately it didn't look anything even remotely this good.


Next we went to "Something-or-Other Farms", a pleasant park-like setting in Grapevine,  just north of DFW airport. 


First car inside the gate....BAM....I'm met by a gorgeous classic Ferrari Daytona.



One of my two favorite Cars of the Day (it was truly a toss-up) was this 1967 Ferrari 330 GT 2+2, owned by McKinney, TX car dealer Pat Lobb.


It was pristine inside and out.  And the aroma of that fine cream-colored leather is still with me today.  So nice!


One of the Italian Car Club gate monitors must have been geographically challenged....he let in two British Triumphs.  :)


Interesting story of the day:  The owner of this beautiful 1985 (?) Alfa Romeo GTV6 bought it new from the Alfa dealer in San Francisco, trading in an old Toyota Celica on it (he got $3K for it).  The window sticker on the Alfa said $17,503, a pretty hefty chunk of change back in '85.  I'd say he was smart to hold on to it all these years.


This Alfa Romeo Guilia GTV was Neil's favorite of the day.  I must admit it was pretty special. :)


One of the most unusual cars there, a model that I'd never seen "in the flesh" before, was this '60 vintage Lamborghini Espada.  It was "different".  OK, who are we kidding....the proportions were just odd.  (Sorry Mr. Espada owner.)


One of the local Maserati dealers was there showing off the new, redesigned Quattroporte.  List price was $167K, and it was noticeably bigger than the old Quattroporte.  Too big IMO.



Here is my other personal "Co-Car of the Day"....a 1930's vintage Alfa Romeo 1600.  It was owned by a retired Coast Guard Commander who spends his summers in Seattle and his winters here, coming back early for just this event.  Thanks, Commander!

*OK...deep breath*   Today I'm prepared to "come out of the closet" and admit it:  I'm not really a car "petrolhead".  Instead, I'm an automotive "esthete" (noun:  esthete 1. a person who has or affects to have a special appreciation of beauty).  

I realized this when I kept seeing guys gathered around the open hoods of cars talking about camshafts and compression ratios and dry sumps and such, while I kept thinking, "I wish they'd close the hoods and boot lids so I can get some pictures of the fine lines on these beautiful cars."  ;)

Finally, my favorite window sticker of the day:


Hope you're enjoying your weekend.  Stay cool.  :)

S



6 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the lines...I love the Triumphs, the Porsche is my fav...until the Alpha came along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looked for you at C&C but must've just missed. I got there a bit after 7:30 and took the last spot on my row. It was hot and by 10 I was about done. Those Italian cars are beautiful, I'm with you, the 30's Alfa is the show winner.

    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much eye candy here. Would love to drive one of these home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I would be an esthete too - if I could remember the names of the cars - ha! LOVE the cloud picture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing wrong with not being a "petrolhead." It's just a lot of fun to look at all the cars.

    My brother has an Audi TT - he really likes it, it's his third one(I think). My husband's first car was a 1975 Mustang. His didn't look remotely as good as the one in your photo, too. As a matter of fact, whenever he describes it, the words "piece of junk" come up in the conversation.

    ReplyDelete