Tuesday, September 3, 2013

State Fair time

I'm a hot / cold fan of the State Fair of Texas.  This year I'm cold.  First, it's a hassle to get there and park.  Second, it's full of relatively unsupervised little urchins.  And third, it's expensive, and everything you buy requires "tickets", which means you have to stand in 2 lines.

The Fair's big draw is always that year's Prize Winning new fried food concoction.  This morning it was announced that the winners included deep-fried Nutella and deep-fried Thanksgiving dinner.



"Please pass the Thanksgiving dinner balls."

 "....fried Thanksgiving dinner....is the stuffing and diced turkey rolled into a ball, mush that together there. Then we'll be dipping it into Southern-style cream corn. We're gonna roll it into a seasoned cornmeal, this gives us the texture we're lookin' for when we fry it."

 Well, at least it's efficient.  Wham, bam...5 minutes...dinner's done.

I rarely eat fried foods of any kind, but one I do enjoy is an Original Fletcher's Corny Dog sold only at the Texas State Fair.  It seems old-man Fletcher invented them back in the 1930's, and his family keeps his creation alive by selling a boat-load of them over the 3-week yearly run of the Fair.  I think I read somewhere that the family works those 3 weeks, plus probably another couple of months preparing, and they net $400,000. 

The only thing my old-man ever "invented" was updating an old-wives-tale remedy for an ear ache, which actually made my ears worse when I was his guinea pig as a kid.  The doctor had to dig the stuff out of my ears, and told dad not to ever do it again.  He might have made a good traveling snake-oil salesman, but I don't think it would have been wise for him to ever go back to the same place twice.

Maybe I'll just stick to being a semi-retired, almost legendary king of consulting / CEO for rent.  Besides, that 3-week stint at the Fair probably would require I get up way too early.  :)

S



8 comments:

  1. I try and stay away from too much fried, but that one sounds good...only once a year right?

    That ear thing sound like a story that needs expanding and posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you still have a real state fair. Michigan's was held in the parking lot of a convention center last weekend thanks to budget cuts. Yesterday I had a couple pieces of deep fried banana (with the peel still on I guess) which was pretty good. I tried deep fried Snickers bar once and thought it was overrated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Few things are better than a good corn dog. Deep-fried Nutella? I don't think so. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good stuff. I haven't been to the fair for years but think we will this time, if the temps ever drop below 100. Go on Wednesdays, three cans of food get you in and there are no crowds. Love the automobile building and wife likes the farm animals, esp. goats. Go figure. And I'm with you on the Fletcher's corney dogs. Years ago when I worked in one of the Galleria Towers there was a Fletcher's shop down by the ice rink and I'd have one about once a week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd heard about that deep fried Nutella. Since I can't stand it out of the jar I doubt I'd like it deep fried either. I haven't been to a State Fair in decades. Wonder if the weather will cool down for this year's fair in Phoenix?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have deep fried butter at our State Fair, Texas probably already thought of that.
    If I were there I would definitely have to go this year to see the new Big Tex!!!!!
    I used the name Besseybug online for years because of an old wives tale in my family that when a child got an earache you should put a besseybug in the ear to cure it.
    I think those are all my comments for today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had deep fried cookie dough at a Reds game once - that was a MESS. And too sweet (and if it was too sweet for me then you KNOW it's too sweet!).

    We don't like the crowds anymore. I used to could tolerate it, but now I just get so cranky that it takes the joy out of the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nutella...♥♥♥

    Now I forgot what I was going to say.

    ReplyDelete