Friday, November 29, 2013

Beware of things labeled "old fashioned". They're NOT!

Big Day #1 has come and gone, and Big Day #2 (chronologically speaking) is still nearly a month away. I think by then I will have recovered from the trauma of eating "old fashioned cornbread dressing" from....well, in the spirit of the season I won't embarrass them by mentioning Central Market's name. 

Our Thanksgiving get-together was a very nice affair at the home of my in-laws.  For age and health reasons they don't travel well, so we all go to them and have our traditional meal there.  

I say "traditional", but honestly, over the years we've slowly integrated many store-bought food items into our feast.  First it was a pie or two, then a "dip sampler" tray, followed by (occasionally) a Honey Baked Ham.

I think 2013 was the year everyone just threw in the towel and said, "everything online, baby!"  Mr & Mrs M ordered a very good smoked turkey and a side dish, K's sis brought more side dishes and some sort of an apple bundt cake dessert, while we brought from Central Market one of their afore mentioned dip samplers, a sweet potato casserole, 2 varieties of dressing (what you people the other side of the Mason/Dixon line call "stuffing"), and a chess pie.



It was all very good, with one glaring exception:  the dish labeled "old fashioned cornbread dressing", traditionally my favorite side dish of them all.  For starters, there are no kernels corn in old fashioned cornbread dressing, or chunks of some unidentifiable red stuff.  Or croutons.  Or leaves.  Everyone tasted it, kind of gave up a sick smile, but did in the interest of politeness refrain from slipping it into their napkin.

I'm thinking, when the Central Market manager told their chef to make a big batch of "old fashioned cornbread dressing", he should have made sure the chef was from this side of one of those big ponds that separates us from those who eat....umm....THAT stuff.  Having a working knowledge of what cornbread consists of would be a definite plus, too.  

All things considered, it was a wonderful meal and a great time with her family, but next year, I'M in charge of acquiring the cornbread dressing.  :)

Lesson learned....when something is labeled "old fashioned", "home cooked", or "just like mom used to make"....RUN!  Run fast, run far.  Those seem to be the code words for "we don't have a clue."

S

7 comments:

  1. Mrs. C who is not famous for her culinary skills does dig deep to her inner Italian to make some good "Old Fashion" stuffing. Bread crumbs. sausage, fine chopped peppers, celery, and mushrooms mixed with some egg and chicken stock....MMMmmm...at least this side of the M+D line.

    Happy Thanksgiving, and "How about them Cowboys?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you had quite a feast, too. Cowboys? I dunno, I don't keep up with professional (felon) football. I'm a college football guy. Did they win or lose? I'll go check it so's I can participate in the water cooler conversation.

      Delete
  2. Mike bought me a sweet potato pie at Kroger. The label said "new improved recipe!" And I guess if you really wanted pumpkin pie instead of sweet potato you MIGHT consider it an improvement. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our stuffing is handmade and filled with wonderful ingredients. Mrs. Chatterbox makes it to honor my Portuguese traditions, but no one eats it but me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way South where I came from, Dressing was two pans of regular corn bread mixed into a semi soup with fresh chopped onions and good pieces of boiled chicken and the liquid was chicken broth. mix well and place in a big baking pan and place in oven until not soupy anymore.

    I had Thanksgiving with family from Michigan and well there idea of dressing is quite a bit different, yet good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well...as long as the turkey was good!

    ReplyDelete