Thursday, June 14, 2012

America's pastime

I don't understand baseball.  The TV just showed a SF Giants pitcher who threw a perfect game.  The stadium was going wild, the dugout emptied as they rushed the mound to congratulate the pitcher for his great accomplishment, etc.  Not one of the opponents even made it to first base.  That would be like the defense in a football game holding the other team to no first downs.  *Yawn*  If you had a football game where the final score was 3-0, the stands would have been emptied by the start of the fourth quarter.  That would be one B O R I N G game.


The baseball games I've been to were very relaxed events.  People just wander around, visiting at length with familiar faces who regularly sit nearby, they take forever to go get a hot dog and a beer....just a very slow moving, relaxed affair.  It's almost as if the game itself is a side note.  I guess to hard core fans that's the beauty of it.  Good for 'em I suppose.  I just prefer a little more adrenaline in my sports.  :)


S

10 comments:

  1. You have a lot of balls with this post. It strikes me as being anti-American. I can't think of a single thing I don't like about this game. As a kid I would run home to watch the world series. I double..no, I triple dare you to find a better game. I would hit anyone who disagrees without batting an eye. This yank is a giant fan of the game who has never met anyone brave enough to disagree. It makes me so red i aught to sock you. I just don't know how you base your opinions!

    The best comparison of football and baseball is of course from the Great George Carlin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't mean to offend...I just calls 'em as I sees 'em, Joe. Honestly, I think it boils down to this: For the longest time of it's history MLB was a sport concentrated in the mid-west and northeast...Boston, NY, Chicago, Philly, etc. That is what you grew up with. The same goes for ice hockey. Down here in the south, for whatever reason, football was...and still is...king. Football is what I grew up with and what I know best. Now of course those lines have blurred and all sports are played everywhere. Still, depending on what we were raised up watching and playing, that's where our interests and loyalties lie.

    And thanks for the reminder of George Carlin's explaination. I went back and found it on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmXacL0Uny0

    I think he pretty much nailed it. :)

    S

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I guess we can add baseball to politics and religion as topic to NOT be discussed? ;)

    S

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love baseball for just the reason you mention - the slow pace of the game. I can listen to it while I'm doing other stuff & then REALLY pay attention when the fans start yelling. I'm sad because the Braves don't play today. Mike is going out of town so he won't be there to entertain me. And the Reds play during the day, not tonight. Am I going to have to be reduced to watching some other random team tonight?

    P.S. watching a no-hitter or perfect game is excruciatingly tense. Every pitch is Fraught with Meaning - will this be the one to ruin the streak? Not boring even a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never a sports guy, as a kid we lived near San Francisco and it was un-American not to support the local team. But it does seem that baseball is a game played in slow motion, at least compared to soccer or basketball, other sports of which I know nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha @ Joe. I guess I'm a little slow today. Yank, Giant, Met, Brave, Red, Sock....touché! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. And you missed "base". Well, Scott, you look like a big guy. I guess you just want a little more violence in your sports!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bruce... And ball, hit, double, triple...lots of 'em. He really 'loaded" it up and "slid" it right past me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Baseball - is that with the little white ball?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Third up the white ball size ladder Peeper, after ping pong and golf. ;)

    S

    ReplyDelete