Thursday, June 28, 2012

I want a "do-over"

This has been one bear of a week.  And I don't mean a cute little cub rolling in the grass, but a big, nasty grizzly.  Hell-week actually began last Saturday when I woke up with a "crick" in my neck.  Is that just a southern term?  Anyway, it's just a stiff neck/pinched nerve caused by sleeping in an odd position.  


By Monday the pain had moved to the back of my left upper arm.  It's just a constant stabbing pain.  A "crick" is usually gone within a couple of days, but I'm beginning to think my body is rejecting my arm.  By Wednesday I threw in the towel and went to the doctor.  He gave me some codeine/acetaminophen to kill the pain, and some sort of muscle relaxer to relieve the pressure on the nerve.  The pain killer proved worthless, and so far the muscle relaxer hasn't done anything except relieve $$$ from my wallet.  


I think a bottle of scotch would have been more effective, and probably cheaper, too.  Plus, it's a steroid, which will no doubt disqualify me from participating in next month's Olympics.  Oh well, that's probably no big loss as I hadn't even begun training yet.   (I didn't want to peak too soon.) 


Want more?  On Monday I also had to pay the speeding ticket I got a couple lof weeks ago.  There goes the kid's inheritance!  Then I went to my car to go to work and found it had a dead battery.  By the time I got a jump, then drove to my mechanic's shop to get a new one (it still had some prorated warranty left) it was time to go home.  


Oh, and on Monday it was 106 degrees.  I used to say the day would come when I would be able to say adios to Texas' heat and move to cool, crisp Colorado.  Now my adopted next home state is on fire.  I guess my little nerve thing pales to what those people are going through.  Maybe I'd best just shut up and get on with it.  Y'all stay cool.  :)


S

7 comments:

  1. If you start to feel numbness in your fingers, You might want to google laminectomy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll keep an eye out for that, Joe. Thanks.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. I've also been suffering a pain in my upper back, maybe a crick, and Mrs. C. gave me some of her painkillers (I know that's wrong but I can live with it) which did nothing. She then gave me some Advil PM and the problem went away quickly. Maybe this would work for you. Regular Advil for days if you can't afford to be drowsy. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And to cap yer week, the supremes just ok'd the 2700 page monstrosity that the ones who passed it don't know what's in it. f

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sympathize with you. I've had good luck with Ibuprofen and a muscle relaxant I get in Mexico. (No, it's not tequila, though that might help, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pain! Hope you get some relief soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd say such a terrible week entitles you to a do-over. I get cricks in the neck every so often and when it gets too bad I go to the chiropractor or the massage therapist in the chiropractor's office. My co-worker swears by acupuncture. I'll give that a try sometime. At any rate, I hope you feel better quickly!

    ReplyDelete