Tuesday, February 21, 2012

"Down-sizing" finally makes it to "right-sizing"

I read an interesting story in the paper recently about empty nesters and their downsizing dilemma.  The jest of it was that people stay in their huge homes where they raised their family, loaded to the gills with a lifetime of accumulated "stuff", then they retire and find it difficult to simplify and downsize like they promised themselves they would.  They say you should gradually wean yourself from the thinking that "more" and "bigger" are better.  It's like an auto race:  the winner doesn't cross the finish line and then stomp on the brakes.  He gradually decelarates and eventually walks to the podium to collect his prize.

That's essentially what K and I have been doing for the past three years.  In 2009 we sold our large 2-story home with the big yard (that I promise you DIDN'T mow itself!), gave to my kids whatever stuff they wanted, then sold or gave to Goodwill all but the things that were important to us that we wanted to keep.  We moved into a comfortable apartment which was supposed to be temporary until I could build us another patio home-sized residence, but found we actually liked the maintanence-free lifestyle.  (Something needs fixing, just fire off an email.  I like!)

Now we're on to phase II of our "right-sizing" journey.  We're signing a new lease today on another apartment a couple of miles away, still in a great location, but which is new and immaculate.  It's actually a bit smaller, and a bit cheaper, too, but it's arranged to feel larger.  Granite countertops, porcelain tiled floors, stainless steel appliances....all very upscale.  And all that stuff we brought from our old home we really wanted to keep?  Much of it has been stuffed into the back of closets and in our storage room ever since, untouched. 

Tonight we start culling through it all....again.  It really feels liberating to pare yourself back to less "stuff".  I remember many years ago I had a friend who lived on a 35 ft. boat in Florida.  He could take everything he needed for a week's vacation in a carry-on duffle bag.  If he bought something new and took it onboard his boat, something else had to come off to make room for it.  I doubt I can ever match his efficiency, but I think I can get reasonably close.  K too.  This is one move I'm actually looking forward to.  :)

I'll leave you with my favorite sarcastic cartoon-of-the-day:


I feel so much better now that the banksters have said they're sorry and made amends for their past sleazy practices.  Bless 'em all.

S

4 comments:

  1. Mrs.C. and I began downsizing a few years ago. We sold our big hundred year old house downtown just before the bottom fell out of the housing market and we bought a small townhouse. We still have too much stuff but I love drinking my coffee in the morning and watching the swarm of gardeners work their way through our neighborhood. For the first time in twenty years I don't own a lawn mower. Life is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's another solution: move to Arizona. No lawns!

    We have begun the downsizing we have talked about for years, too. We did it once before, when we moved to Mexico. Whatever didn't fit in our Volkswagen Quantum station wagon didn't go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a big problem with downsizing. Heck I still have so much "memorabilia" from MY childhood days that I just CAN'T get rid of, no way!

    But I'm afraid that even for me, that day will come.... :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dorrie....Don't be afraid. You'd be surprised how much more comfortable things are without stuff EVERYEWHERE.

    Bruce....Now THAT is traveling light. I'm envious.

    Stephen....I hear ya. If I NEVER see a lawnmower again it will be too soon.

    S

    ReplyDelete