Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I'm a registered "bite me!"

Every time the conversation turns to politics I hear people say they are a "registered Democrat" or a "registered Republican".  Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not sure what that means.  I've traveled considerably but only voted in Texas*.  Here you can vote in one primary or the other, but not both, and that in no way binds you in the general election in the fall.  Does the act of voting in a primary "register" you?


They make it sound like you have to publicly declare by signing an affidavit (registering) at a party office your intention to support that party.  Why would anyone want to lock themselves in like that?  What does "registering" get you?  Discounts on candidate's T-shirts or bumper stickers?  Big whoop!   How do you "register" to be an Independent? 


S


*Actually, I'm quite a VIP here in Texas.  I say that because I have been repeatedly notified (sometimes discreetly addressed to "occupant" so as to preserve my privacy) that as a revered, almost legendary Texas businessman I have been selected to serve on Senator PickPocket's advisory board.  To accept his most generous offer all I have to do is send him a pot of money and he'll give me a lapel pin that will signify to the world what a Big Shot I am as well as a monthly newsletter that I can't un-subscribe to.  I'm SO flattered!  :)



4 comments:

  1. In Ohio you can't vote in a Republican primary if you're a registered Democrat - but you can if you're an independent. I guess we tell them when we register to vote? I don't remember actually... It would be smarter to be independent so you could wreak havoc on both parties. Wish I'd thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Several years ago I registered as a Democrat (bet you aren't surprised) and things have gone fine until this year. Here in Oregon we're having a special election to replace our congressman (the old one took a dive at the shallow end of the pool and resigned.) The Democratic Party has been ringing our phone nonstop for the past two weeks, up to three times a day. I finally told them that I intended to vote for their candidate but I wouldn't if they called one more time. They stopped calling, thank god. The other candidate is a tax-dodging moron.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephen...so did you go to the local Democratic Party office and physically sign something committing you to support the party and their candidates? Is that how you "register"?

    Bug...I'm too contrarian to blindly support one party or the other. I like it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete