Monday, February 6, 2012

Clint Eastwood's "the man!"....with EDIT

This morning I clicked on YouTube to re-watch my favorite Super Bowl commercial from yesterday.  What I found instead was a screen saying the commercial had been pulled due to a copyright dispute with NFL Properties.  Hmmm....wonder why the NFL didn't complain BEFORE they took Chrysler's money and ran their ad?


It was a typical Super Bowl....a rather average game except for the last 3 minutes.  I didn't think either team looked "World Champion" quality hitting on all 12 cylinders.  More like the last ones still standing.  And the commercials?  Where was the pizazz, the supreme sense of humor from years past?  Budweiser might as well have just put a match to their $10M.  The same for most of the rest IMO.  If you weren't old enough to remember Ferris Bueller from the famous movie of the 80's, you probably didn't understand the Honda commercial.  The same with the  Volkswagen ad featuring the deformed looking guys.  What was that all about?  K had to explain to me later that it was a Star Wars reference.  You shouldn't have to explain a commercial.  


I did like the Chrysler halftime commercial.  It was powerful, and I thought using Clint Eastwood as their grizzled, determined-sounding spokesman was a stoke of genius.  Brilliant! 


I'd like to link to it for you, but thanks to the jackasses at the NFL I can't.  You think the NFL will give Chrysler their money back?  Haha!  


And then there was the commercial for the Abarth Fiat 500.  Wow, what a car!  Yeah, let's go with that.  See it for yourself right here.  (Ironically, Fiat owns Chrysler.)  Several others elicited a chuckle from me, but no real gut-busting laughs.  Oh, wait....I forgot about the girl head-butting the guy for his Oikos yogurt.  That was a funny surpriseDo y'all disagree?  Did I miss something?


Gotta go.  I'm off to buy a Chrysler, or a Fiat.  Or maybe some yogurt.  ;)


S


EDIT:  The Chrysler commercial is available again.  You can see it here.

5 comments:

  1. The Clint Eastwood commercial was fabulous, as you've pointed out. I was also impressed by Madonna's halftime show even though I'm not a Madonna fan. In the past some of the performers I would have expected to do well were duds, but M pulled it off. Last three minutes of the game were great, as you've said. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was a tremendous game, even though I'm a heartbroken Pats fan. The ads mostly did nothing special for me. I agree with Stephen, though - Madonna was amazing (and I, too, am not a Madonna fan.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suldog....I'm not a "grind it out" kinda fan. I like some razzle dazzle, some trickery, with all the stops pulled out, like college football. Rarely does a pro game really excite me. I do like the ones that go down to the final gun to decide the winner, though.

    Stephen....What little I saw of Madonna was good, and this morning eveyone said what a tremendous show she put on. Chrysler's ad agengy deserves an award for their Super Bowl creation, lemme tell ya! Sure wish I could see it again. ;(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't watch the game or the commercials, and I'm not a Madonnna fan. But in some insane moments I actually half-believe that if I just go to the gym enough, I could, in about 50 years, be in the same shape that she'll be in at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw the Eastwood ad during the Superbowl and then a talk radio show here played the entire ad over the radio and did a bit of talk about it (they were attempting to decipher what, exactly, was the point of the ad - a commercial for Chrysler or a motivational ad to get the American public optimistic about the potential future that lies ahead - or probably a bit of both, really). The man's voice is something that cannot really be duplicated and is the genuine charm, thrust and allurement of that commercial. He is one of my all-time favorite actors.

    ReplyDelete