Sunday, September 15, 2013

I can see a light in the tunnel. I hope it's not a train!

Whew....our move is 98% complete.  Not surprisingly, Murphy reared his ugly head and made things twice as hard as they should have been.



It's just like this, except substitute the T-Mobile building across the street for Lake Como.

Several earlier comments asked why we were moving so soon as we had just gone through this 18 months ago.  The answer in one word, in one letter actually, is K, as in K, my spousal unit.  She has been nagging pestering requesting an apartment with a patio or terrace for quite a while, and when a nice one became available, I jumped at it, convinced by the bayonet in my back that it would be a good thing.  

Now that the move is complete I will agree, it IS a good thing.  At this stage in my life, since it's just the two of us, I have completely embraced the idea of renting vs owning another home.  It feels sooooo good to NOT have a to-do list anymore.  Our little community is new, very nice, with lots of (the usual) amenities like gym, pool, party room, etc, and even a guest suite on premises for overnight guests to use.

We briefly considered buying a townhome (we found a really nice one), but then K heard that with a creek not far away and with lots of open greenbelt area nearby, snakes would be out poking around.  Heehee!  Bye-bye townhome.  :)

The move should have been a piece of cake:  SIL Donnie and I had to pick up furniture 6", put it on a furniture dolly, and wheel it down the hall, up the elevator, and into our new digs on the 3rd floor.  Wham, bam....2-3 hours....done.  Hah!

First, the dolly's I bought at Lowe's must have been for moving boxes of feathers.  When you put some weight on them they would barely roll.  Chinese-made wheels, no doubt.  Then the upright dolly had a tire that wouldn't hold air, so I had to buy a new tire.  UGH!

And finally, at one point, the elevator closest to us broke.  We had to wheel stuff to the other side of the building and use that elevator, making the trip twice as long.  Maintenance was able to "reset" our elevator and get us going again, but that's just how things have gone for me these past 3 days.

But now we're in, everything is in it's place, and all I have left to do is hang a few more pictures.  The terrace really is pleasant, just large enough for 2 chairs and 2 small tables, plus the dog's bed.  Early morning's are so nice out there.  :)

Today is pretty much dedicated to R & R, then tomorrow it's back to work.  Bro and I are finishing a big home over this next week or so, and then I can get back to perfecting my retirement.  

Life ain't half bad, you know?  :)

S

And just FYI, AT&T Uverse cable/internet is top shelf!


7 comments:

  1. Scott...you suck at retirement! Retired people hire people to do hard stuff...MOVING!! Retired people point and tip to get stuff done...I am afraid you are hopeless.

    Enjoy the terrace, sounds like the perfect place for a cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just not a "sitter", Joe. I can't watch TV hour after hour, day after day. I have to be going, doing, but I want it to be something fun, not work, you know? And as I thought this move was going to be a cake walk, I decided not to spend $1K when I could just do it myself. Thanks Murphy, you a-hole! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad we aren't considering a move anywhere. Even when you hire people to do the moving there's still a ton of stuff to do. I'm glad this chore is over for you and soon you can settle back into retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Joeh said in his last sentence, except replace "coffee" with "martini" or "wine" or "beer."

    Like Stephen, I'm glad we are not moving anywhere. At least we are not planning to!

    Say, would "hang a few more pictures" in someone else's house be considered "something fun, not work" by you? We're terrible about covering our bare walls... :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. We usually like to look at our pictures propped up against the walls for a while before we hang them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did really like that townhouse - but I don't feel responsible enough for a 30 year mortgage...what if I hate my neighbors? then I am stuck....and the snake thing had me at the word "snake"

    Great job sweetheart - we did it and we survived

    ReplyDelete