Saturday, September 21, 2013

Living the good life

This morning it was 65 degrees with a slight breeze and lots of sunshine.  Yesterday's rain cleaned the air and it smells wonderful.  I put on sweats and sat on my 3rd floor terrace and enjoyed my little bottle of Fourbucks frappuccino and watched Luke the Wonderdog watching the other dogs parading by him below.  Life is good.

While most of my contemporaries might look down on the idea of apartment living after decades of home ownership, for me this is bliss.  Not too much, not too little.  Juuuuust right.  And in this price range my neighbors are all mature, quiet, often middle aged or even empty nesters like me.  My to-do list for today reads....not a damn thing.  Same as it was last weekend, and the same as it will be next weekend.



One view of our 21' x 37' Great Room.

We live in Frisco, a far-northern Dallas suburb known for it's citizenry walking around with their noses shoved up into the stratosphere.  The main residential area of town where all the snooties live in their huge mansions is several miles north of where I am.  My neighbors are more down to earth, though, many of them engineers and managers and such working at all the high tech firms surrounding me.

I must give K credit....her insistence on a terrace was spot on.  Ours is just large enough for a couple of nice chairs and 2 small tables, which is perfectly adequate.  There is some traffic noise at certain hours, but from the inside we hear nothing.  I actually like watching the traffic....there are lots of cool cars here.  Our view looking northwest to northeast:


That open field is where Dallas Cowboy's owner Jerry Jones will soon build his tribute to himself.


New office parks are going up everywhere.


AT&T and T-Mobil both have large campuses nearby.


Lots of hotels are nearby, too, I suppose to accommodate all the techies brought in to work on special projects.

Less than a mile east is a HUGE shopping mall, just south are lots more "apartment homes" and condos, and west is a very large high-rise office park.  The Dallas North Tollway one block west connects me straight to the airport (W)  and downtown (S).  Two floors below is a "salon and spa".  And apparently no one ever cooks at home judging by the fact there are literally a hundred nice restaurants within a 2 mile radius.

Now that we're moved in and settled (again), I must say I think I've found where I'm meant to be.*  :)

S

* Unless I win the lottery.  Then you'll find me in Colorado, zip code TBD.


10 comments:

  1. Very, very nice. Are you allowed to BBQ on the terrace? That is the only thing I would miss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not on our terrace, Joe, but there is one mid-size courtyard with 2 gas grills about 100 feet away, as well as a bigger courtyard and a pool area with 3 more...5 total. I'll put a photo up tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. I hope you and K are very happy in your new place. Mrs. C and I live in a townhouse that is very much like an apartment and I love having a number to call when something goes wrong. Take care and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love apartment living. All of my apartments have had at least a small balcony. This building isn't soundproofed very well, so it makes little difference if the windows are open or closed :-) Work or the downtown is a twenty minute walk, but I bike to work and drive for groceries. I couldn't see myself ever having another house unless, you know, lottery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug ,if I was that close to downtown or shopping, I'd walk there, too. Apartment living is NOT a step backwards.

      Delete
  4. Thanks Steve. As you know, the best timgs in life are often the simplist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the style of your living room! That chair looks so comfy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kellie. Yes, my chair is well broken in. :)

      Delete
  6. I totally get your point. Unfortunately, the last time we lived in an apartment (when we first arrived in Florida), we were not surrounded by quiet, mature people. So we are enjoying our house...but you better believe that if I won the lottery, you'll find me in the phone book, looking up phone numbers for "total lawn care" and "outside window washing" and, heck, why not, "inside window washing," too. And I might get a chair like in your picture, because it does look perfect for spending weekends in it!

    ReplyDelete