Sunday, September 1, 2013

Tell me again why I should be sad about summer's passing?

Well, here it is the first day of September, the first day of the month many people equate with fall.  In many places trees are turning vibrant colors, a few leaves will already be falling (is that where the term "fall" comes from?), and being outside actually becomes pleasant again.

But I'm in Texas, and to a Texan September just means more of the same.  Today's high temperature is forecast to be 103.  I've been reading blogs and Facebook posts where the authors are lamenting the passing of summer.  I say "bring it".  Good riddance.  I long to be able to go outside for a few hours and NOT come back dripping wet, sticky, and smelly.

I always get a chuckle watching TV commercials during football games this time of year where the Budweiser  Clydesdale's are pulling their wagon through scenery that looks something like this:



*Sigh*

It will be at least another 6 weeks, maybe longer, before I'll see anything like that around here.  When it finally does find us it will be intense, but brief.  One morning we'll just wake up to find one giant leaf dump, and that's it.  Hello winter.

But even that isn't so bad, at least here in Texas.  Jeans and a light jacket will usually suffice.  Shovel snow?  I've heard Yankees complain of it, but never understood the point of shoveling the meager 4" of snow that might collect on my sidewalk after the "epic storm" our weatherguessers had been warning us about for a week finally arrives.  And besides, in 3 days it will be back in the 60's (70's?) and the snow will take care of itself.  Shovel snow?  Pfffftttttt.

But all that is months away.  On this September 1st I'll just spend my time mostly indoors, the air conditioning running full blast, sipping my iced beverage, dreading my trips outside with the dog, wondering why he can't just "hold it" until fall.  :)

Stay cool friends.

S




9 comments:

  1. THe only thing I don't like about fall is winter is right behind. But we do get FOOTBALL!!

    And watch, the last few winters in NYC have been reasonably mild, this year the Superbowl will be played in 15 degrees and blinding snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Considering that Luke the Wonder Dog isn't much bigger than a cat, maybe you could train him to go in a "doggie" box? Keep cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He actually does us some "pee pee pads" we leave out for him when we're not here, but he still wants to go outside, rain or shine, heat or cold.

      Delete
  3. Luke the Wonder Dog should be able to learn how to use and flush a toilet.

    It's only 92º here today, but I'm with you: bring it on. It may take longer than 6 weeks for us, though. I remember roasting the Thanksgiving turkey while running the AC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There have been times I wanted SO badly to build a fire in the fireplace, but it was too warm, so I just cranked up the A/C some more. I love fall maybe too much? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you. I love living here where there is ABSOLUTELY NO SNOW ALLOWED but the long, hot summers grow filled with tedium for me. I want to go OUTSIDE! Other than submerging myself in my absentee neighbor's pool or driving in my air-conditioned (and thus too expensive to drive) car . . . I am captive to these gawdamned high temperatures. Give me a day in the 80's, or better yet, the 70's and I'm a happy camper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Personally, I'm mourning the end of Winter here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We shovel the few inches of snow because if you don't it may melt a little then freeze--easier to deal with shoveling snow than with ice. I personally love to shovel snow! I love snow! I cannot wait to wrap around my scarf and put on my gloves! It is a nice change for a few months!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like snow while it's falling - & then I start complaining. And this year I'm calling NoWay to come take care of the driveway!

    It's 71 degrees outside right now. Pretty near perfect :)

    ReplyDelete