Friday, September 6, 2013

Someone....STOP THE MADNESS!

Where will this all end?  Technology is running rampant.  I guess that isn't exactly a "stop the presses"*  news story, but things get more and more outlandish by the day.  Have you heard about this one....Galaxy Gear?



Earlier this week Samsung introduced their smart watch, in reality a computer with a 1.63" touchscreen, a camera, runs 70 different apps, and who knows what else.  Sony has one, too, and it's rumored Apple will have one out shortly also.  Shades of Dick Tracy!*

This thing wouldn't work for me.  First of all, clumsy as I am, I'd trip over the extension cord.  Second, can you imagine how tiny the keyboard is?  With my fat fingers the keyboard on an iPhone is barely manageable.  A 1.63" screen....no way!

I hadn't noticed, frankly, but according to the article I read many / most kids today don't even own a watch.  You walk up to a kid on a college campus and tap on your wrist, the universal symbol for "what time is it?", and the kid will just give you a blank stare.  Now you'll be able to tap on your wrist, and they can Google "what time is it?" for you.  I suppose that's progress.  :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some watch trivia for you:  One of the Queens Elizabeth from centuries ago was once seen wearing a watch on her wrist.   Fashion conscious women mimicked her, but not men.  Men preferred to carry pocket watches on chains.


One of the early European aviation pioneers, Alberto Santos Dumont, changed all that.  Back in the early 20th Century successful aviation flights were measured in seconds or minutes.  It was difficult for an early aviator, with all hands and feet working rudders and throttles and sticks, to fly his machine and still be able to reach into a pocket and pull out a watch. 

Being the most daring, dashing man in all of Paris at the time, welcomed in all the most fashionable places, Alberto's friend Louis Cartier specially designed for him a watch that could be worn on the wrist with a leather strap, making it easier for him to record the duration of his flights and still keep his "hands on the wheel".  Before long everyone wanted one, and the wrist watch became the norm for all well-dressed men.  Until now, apparently.

If you enjoy aviation history, I suggest you read Wings of Madness: Alberto Santos Dumont and the Invention of Flight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guess what day it is?  Guess...what...day...it...is?  Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike....guess what day it is?  IT'S FRIDAY!  :)

S

* Does anyone even remember what "stop the presses" means, or who Dick Tracy was?



13 comments:

  1. Wasn't Dick Tracy a horrible movie starring Warren Beatty and Madonna? Yuck. I can't imagine what I'd do with a 1.63" screen. I mean I wouldn't want to watch a movie on it that's for sure. They need to hurry up and invent better holographic technology already so you could wear the computer on your wrist and it could display holograms that would be larger and much easier to see.

    BTW, what happens if you wear the "Smart" watch with Google Glass? Can you just imagine someone walking around with distractions on his eyes and wrist? And then getting in a car or walking into an intersection...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dick Tracey.....never liked. Every news show in Germany reports about those new watches....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HEY....DORRIE! So glad to see you back commenting. Yep, techies the world over all think the same.

      Delete
  3. I'm guessing they are not going to be a big hit.

    Course I said the same thing about hula hoops, the Frisbee, Mr. Coffee, The George Forman Grill and the I-pod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still don't think this computer fad is going to make it. I'm still holding on to my note pads and #2 pencils, ready when it all falls apart. :)

      Delete
  4. Hey! I still have lots of note pads and pencils, too! Unfortunately my cursive skills have nearly disappeared and, like the newer generations, I print most everything when I am forced to "write" something.

    I grew up reading Dick Tracy in the Sunday comics and in "funny books", as we called them back in the day. And I'm old enough to remember "stop the presses", too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember Dick Tracy and "hold the presses." Thanks for reminding me of what an old fart I am.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First time visitor to your blog. Love it!
    Http://www.lifecherries.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around Google Glass...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a big believer in the smart phone and tablet revolution, but a smart watch? A step too far, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have no idea why they are making this thing.....smart watch? who is going to wear it? does it take your temp? track your blood pressure? the amount you sleep? those things are popular ... aka "fitbit" But a WATCH? Like one of those old timey things that keep "time"

    I stopped wearing a watch when I left the Navy - they were the only ppl on the planet that could throw me in the brig for being late. Now I am still chronically early but not every time now

    ReplyDelete
  10. I stopped wearing a watch because I noticed that I kept looking at it while I was in church. I decided I would probably be less impatient if I didn't know what time it was - & it's true!

    I actually LIKED the Dick Tracy movie - it was so campy!

    ReplyDelete