Friday, February 8, 2013

Adventures at the grocery store


For years I've done the family's grocery shopping.  I have a system:  I made a map of the store and where almost everything we regularly buy is located.  I keep a list handy and just circle what we need from the store, then go right to it as I know where it is.  Wham, Bam!  Thirty minutes, out the door. 

It worked great....until K entered my life.  She's found a way to subvert my Grand Plan. Here's what she does....she puts on the list something like "X brand Low Calorie" salad dressing.  But when I try to find it on the shelf I find there's no such thing.  There's X brand "Fat Free" and X brand "No Calorie", but no "Low Calorie".  There is, however, a Y brand "Low Calorie".  So what's more important, the brand or the caloric content?  

Thank God for cell phones.  I would just let her do the shopping, but she's a dangerously compulsive shopper.  "Oh look!  Chocolate covered kumquats on a stick!"  When she goes with me our bill goes through the roof.  No, I'm a one-man grocery shopper.

Here's how it went yesterday:

Under "bath soap" she requested "Liquid Dial soap vanilla".  After 10 minutes of looking at every brand, every fragrance on every shelf I finally threw in the towel and called her.  

Ring....ring...."I can't find it.  What's your second choice?"

"No, they have it.  You've bought it there before.  Keep looking."

After another 10 minutes I called her back and told her what her choices were, besides vanilla.

"Mango?"

"No."

"Green Apple?"

"No."

"Lavender?"

"No.  Keep looking."

Grrrrr!

Finally I called her with a long shot...."They have Dial Yogurt (and then in very small letters underneath) "vanilla honey".  Could that be it?"

"YES!  That's it."

"Why didn't you just say that on the list?"

"I dunno."


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She wanted orange juice in the "large plastic bottle".  OK, they had Minute Maid, Tropicana, Simply Orange, and a couple of others, all in large plastic bottles.

*I think it looked like this....no this one looks more like it....no....*

Ring....ring...."Which brand....Minute Maid, Tropicana...."

"Simply Orange"

"Then why didn't you just say Simply Orange on the list?"

"I dunno."

*Let's see...."low pulp", "no pulp", "extra pulp", "pulp fortified with vitamin D(?)"*

Ring....ring...."What kind of pulp?"

"Extra pulp"

"Why didn't you just say that on the list?"

"I dunno."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finally, ice cream.  She wanted "Breyers drumstick".  Surprise....I couldn't find it.

Ring....ring...."They only have Drumstick brand drumsticks.  What's your second choice?"

"No, silly.  It isn't a "drumstick" drumstick.  It's drumstick flavored ice cream in a container."

"Why didn't you just say that on the list?"

"I dunno."

Ten minutes later....ring....ring...."They don't have it.  They have Snickers flavored, Butterfinger flavored, Heath flavored, but no Drumstick flavored."

"Yes they do. It's in a half gallon round carton.  Keep looking."

"Round?  These are rectangular shaped cartons."

"No, round for sure.  We don't have room in the freezer for a rectangular carton.  Maybe it wasn't Breyers."

Grrrrr!

I finally found it.  It was Dreyers, not Breyers.

An hour and a half later I was back on the road.  I sometimes wonder if she's just pulling my chain?  

S

12 comments:

  1. That's a good thing about being single. I don't know what people did about grocery shopping before cell phones. I mean back in the day you just had to buy stuff and hope for the best I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But in my case the bread always fell buttered side DOWN!

      Delete
  2. LOL. I just loved this! She just wants the best for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes think she's somewhere behind me spying on me and giggling. ;)

      Delete
  3. LOL. Mike has been eating the same kind of crackers for years now, but I STILL waffle when I'm in the cracker aisle. Sometimes he gives up & just shops for his own snacks.

    I do the list in the order of the store too, but then they remodeled my store. Oy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOur funniest post yet...Wait you usually do politics and opinions.

    THis post had me in tears!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it except it sounds like SWMBO and I - in reverse!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm reading this just as I'm about to head out the door to pick up some groceries. I'm not very particular about this stuff but Mrs. C. can be and my listening skills are often brought into question. Wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe you did a whole post on getting groceries and not ONE. SINGLE. TIME. the word "bacon" is mentioned in your post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, but Peeper, I knew EXACTLY where the bacon was. It's a 6th sense I have. I don't ever have to call K and ask anything about bacon. That's MY domain. :)

    S

    ReplyDelete
  9. My boyfriend is the shopper in our family, so when I have to go. That's exactly how my trip goes!! UGH! I hate the grocery store. Love this post, made me laugh. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete