My friend Ellen from Bad Word Mama! has been kind enough to pass on to me the Inspiring Blog Award. While I never thought of myself as all that inspiring, I'll accept it with sincere appreciation. The rules are I'm to share with everyone 7 interesting facts about myself, "interesting" being a relative term as you'll soon find out:
1. I don't have a uvula. That's the little dangly appendage that hangs down in the back of your throat that keeps food and drink from going up your nose when you swallow. It was surgically removed to (help) cure me of sleep apnea. So far I haven't actually shot food/drink out my nose, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.
2. When I was still in middle school I was on the Friday Night High School Football Roundup on WFAA radio in Dallas. My part was a 2 minute synopsis of the Garland High School game that week. I'd attend the game, take notes, then be on the radio about 20 minutes after the game was over. It was all done over the telephone....they never knew I was only 13/14 years old.
3. I was once invited by the US Navy to fly 60 miles out into the Gulf of Mexico and experience a landing and later a launch off the carrier USS Forrestal. I'm officially a "tailhooker". (I know....sounds kinda pornographic, huh?)
4. While I built mega-big, mega-expensive homes, K and I live in a small apartment and love it. I'll probably build us another home some day, but it will be small....maybe 1200 sq ft max. Anything more requires too much upkeep. Truthfully, I'm just too lazy to take care of any more than that.
5. I met my wife online. True! Svetlana and I....no, wait....wrong website. Kelly and I met on the now defunct JournalSpace. She posted a question that I just happened by at that exact moment and answered for her. A few seconds earlier or later and we would have been like two ships passing in the night.
6. When I was at Texas Tech I read in a magazine that Vasser, then an all-girl school, was admitting a limited number of males on a trial basis. I wanted to apply but didn't have the application fee they required, probably set high just to keep all us horny/poor guys away. (They obviously wanted only horny/rich guys.) I wound up taking a course in the School of Home Economics at Tech because the f/m ratio was 44-4.
7. My brother did some family genealogy recently and traced our ancestors back to Scotland. It seems we're descended from some guy who was an Earl or Baron or something like that back in the 1600's. I'm pretty sure our branch of the family tree was pruned back to a knot centuries ago.
Hey....wake up! Now I'm supposed to pass on the award to up to 15 others I find are interesting/inspiring in one way or another. So TAG, you're it....inspire me:
Betina at Thoughts From My Corner of the Couch
Stephen at The Chubby Chatterbox
Dana at Bug's Eye View
PT at PT Dilloway
Jim at Suldog
Old Geezers Out to Lunch
Joe at Cranky Old Man
Bruce at Oddball Observations
Kelly at Delightfully Ludicrous
Lori at Simply Wizardress
Bethany at Bethany Illustrated
Dorrie at Westy's World
Fin at Fin Former Curmudgeon
Doug at The Voice Inside My Eye