Thursday, February 7, 2013

Reality TV....the race to the bottom


Did you ever stop and think about the themes that come and go in TVland?  When I was a kid it was westerns.  Gunsmoke, Have Gun Will Travel, The Rifleman, Rawhide, etc, and on Saturday mornings The Lone Ranger, Roy Rogers, and plenty more.

Then we drifted into comedies....The Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, Mary Tyler Moore, All in the Family, Green Acres....

Later still we had the cops 'n robbers shows:  Kojak, Hawaii Five-0, Starsky and Hutch, Baretta, Cagney and Lacey....

Today reality shows are all the rage.  I must admit, overall this is my least favorite TV genre to date.  I understand why the TV producers like them:  They're easy and cheap to produce, "talent" is everywhere, and there are no expensive sets to design....the grungier the better.

One of the few I do like is Duck Dynasty, about a family in Louisiana who's made million$ making duck calls, but still lives the redneck lifestyle.  I say it's about 80% "show" and 20% "reality", but K thinks they're the real deal.  

Consider this:  The family patriarch has a Masters degree in education, was a star college quarterback who had an offer to play in the NFL, and the "boys" are well educated, married to attractive "normal" women, and live the good life.  I think the beards are just their TV gimmick.



Here's the "old" Willie Robertson of pre-TV fame.


Here's the "new" TV Willie (R) with his father, brother, and uncle.  I think this show is one of the best marketing gimmicks ever.  Can you imagine how many duck calls they sell now?

Another current blow-out reality show is Doomsday Preppers.  It showcases people across the country who think "the end is near" and are stocking up on ammo and Ramen Noodles.  A few seem semi-sane:  They're worried about an economic collapse or maybe some sort of natural disaster such as an earthquake on the west coast.  OK, fair enough.

Most, however, are worried about things like the world flipping upside down (yes, the north and south poles switching places).  Loonies!


The aluminum hat is obviously to protect his "brain" from mega-sunspot radiation.  No, really.

Here's how they think....they turn their home into a bunker, fill it with MRE's and barrels of water, buy a small arsenal of weapons, and then have a "bug out bag" (a backpack) so they can strike out cross-country when it all hits the fan.  And leave all that stuff they've been hoarding?  DUH!


And of course there's Here Comes Honey Boo-Boo, the little girl with "star power" and her stage mom.  I've only seen this one once.  It was so gross I couldn't take any more.  On the one hand I feel sorry for them because the whole world is laughing AT them.  But on the other hand they're getting rich, so I guess the last laugh is on THEM.

Other than that you have The Real Housewives of NJ / Atlanta /  Orange County / Frog Knot, The Race Around The World (or something like that), blah, blah.  Somebody please stop this madness!  

Does this say something about our nation's collective intelligence?  If so, I want to cash in, too.   How about this:  


A show about a retired guy who eats fried pork skins for breakfast....


....spends his days chasing his dog "Little Fucker" (as in "come here you little fucker!") around the house....and writes blog posts about how things were "back in the day?

Move over Boo-Boo.  *Cha-Ching!*

S


19 comments:

  1. Ever since the "reality" TV think started up in about 2001 I've waited for it to die but like zombies it just keeps shuffling along and spreading to just about every other network. I mean you know it's overdone when even the Weather Channel has reality TV shows. But as you said I guess it's because they're so cheap to produce versus a scripted series.

    The sad thing is even a lot of the older shows are still around: Survivor, American Idol, The Bachelor. And how long has that stupid Kardashians show been on? Jeez, people, haven't you figured out these people are idiots by now? Ugh.

    Anyway, as far as reality goes I prefer to watch sports. I'll gladly take a Red Wings game over Honey Boo Boo even though the Wings stink this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto PT, except I'd substitute football for hockey.

      Delete
  2. I am totally with PT - except my sport of choice is baseball (although March Madness is just around the corner!).

    I love your idea for a new show. You could invite my husband, who although he is a college professor, likes to eat pork rinds for dinner sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another pork skin fan? Hold on to him....you have a good man there. :)

      Delete
  3. I agree 80% fake, 20% reality. Interesting on the Duck boys, didn't know their background. Honey Boo Boo is unwatchable (yes I tried cause I am a RTV junkie) I understand the Mom is axctually quite responsilbe with the money. That ruins the illusion.

    Don't knock the Real HW of NJ, they are my Faves!!

    Hmmmm..."Real Retired Homebuilder of Texas"...I'd watch it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Hmmmm..."Real Retired Homebuilder of Texas"...I'd watch it!"

      Jeez, Joe, you ARE bored! ;)

      Delete
  4. The only one of these reality shows I watch is Survivor, and I don't even like it anymore. I mean how come they don't need to struggle for food anymore? Remember Richard Hatch? They all hated him but he was the only one who could catch fish and keep everyone fed. It just isn't interesting anymore. But all of these shows are scripted. I'll be glad when they're gone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In spite of myself, I'm fascinated by the more redneck variations of the reality TV craze. I suspect you're right in thinking some of these are cleverly contrived, but man, some of these loonies just can't be scripted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't watch TV at all, real or otherwise. Except for the Weather Network, 'cause weather's important :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE Duck Dynasty! I laugh the whole time. I've never watched Honey Boo Boo.. I'm sure I would feel the exact same way as you do if I watched it. YUCK.
    Great post

    ReplyDelete
  8. TV is not included in my lifestyle either and the only reason I am familiar with the names of these reality show is because my friends write reviews of them regularly. I'm still appauled. Last night was the first night in almost six months that I turned on regular TV and scrolled through a hundred channels with very little to watch. But I did stop the "King Farmers" or something like that. I watched the entire show. Won't return. It's not real. Now the IFC has good movies. "Bound". Have a great day, y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't have much time for TV and I don't "do" reality shows at all. However, I've heard enough about Honey Boo Boo that I decided that one day, when I feel low and stupid and unhappy with myself, I shall find that show (wherever it is on TV) and watch it.

    And then I'll feel all smug and smart and superior and all will be OK with the world again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete