Saturday, December 7, 2013

Hello....hello....anybody?


I fear I'm the lone human survivor.  They say rats and insects will always be around, and so far Luke the Wonder Dog is still with me, but I'm afraid we're about it.  

From my vantage point 3 floors up I have a good view of the Dallas North Tollway, a major traffic artery, and Parkwood Lane, which normally feeds thousands of people a day into Stonebriar Mall.  For hours now I've been looking in vain for any sign of life out there.  The street lights are still burning so I know the power plant is operating, but is it manned or on autopilot?  An hour ago I saw a light on the horizon and felt a tinge of excitement, but it turned out to just be a light on a radio tower I guess I hadn't noticed before.

So where is everyone?  Have they frozen to death, or just gone insane because of boredom and offed themselves?  K is propped up in a corner staring at words on a page, but I fear she's already too far gone.  So young....  *sniff*

Yes, it's cold....19 degrees....but it's actually rather eerily pretty outside if anyone will just give it a try.  Shortly I'm going to launch a search party (of one) and scour the neighborhood looking for anyone still holding on.  I might even take along a flask of brandy, St. Bernard style.  I've thought about going out touring on my skates, but I fear the crunchy ice will just clog up in the little wheels.  I'd better stick with boots on the ground.

My concern is this isn't limited to just my neighborhood, but has spread like some sort of toxic fog over the entire city.  *gasp*  Or could it even have crossed state lines?  I may top off my car with scavenged gas from cars left abandoned in our parking garage.  That should enable me to widen my search for signs of life elsewhere.

I understand the insidious effects cabin fever has on people....I feel it myself from time to time.  But come on people....be strong.  Whatcha say we meet up for some coffee somewhere?  Even if the barristas have succumbed, I'll bet we can figure out how to work those steam-spewing machines of theirs.  They might even still have some of those dry 'ol nasty sandwiches in the display case.   

Trust me....it ISN'T that cold outside.  Come on....let's go.  WE CAN DO THIS!

S



8 comments:

  1. I don't know, 19 is pretty damn cold...maybe tomorrow.

    Stay warm my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's bored - can you tell? The one person in my life that wants "winter weather" in the worst way - gets winter weather ... likes it for maybe half a day to 3/4. And by "wants winter weather" I mean he was still complaining just this past July that he didn't get any ice or snow the previous winter!

    I on the other hand think: Ice? Awesome! I don't have to go anywhere! I don't have to put pants on! Where's my book!?

    Football comes on in an hour and a half - he should be distracted the rest of the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE winter weather. It's just that I want to be out in it, and everything is shut down.

      Delete
  3. Enjoy the beauty and peace while it lasts.

    The story was fun to read, but I have spent too many weeks on mountain tops, wondering if the helicopter will come back for me. I liked the last person on Earth solitude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post sounds like the beginning of one of those apocalyptic novels. Watch out for zombies. I hear they like little dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So where is everyone? Just ask any labor and delivery nurse in about nine months...

    ReplyDelete