Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Do I dare hope?

This is getting serious.  I'm talking about our drought.  There was a big meeting in Austin recently attended by planners where they were told our drought will most likely extend well into next year.  The consensus was that we would have a warmer and dryer winter than normal.  I hate, hate, hate hearing this as I'm like a little kid who looks forward every fall to the possibility that we'll soon have some cold and snow.  


By December I'm ready.  Chili makin's are in the pantry, I've got my assortment of winter coats all ready and lined up, and the same for my shoes/boots.  By January, if things are still whiteless, I start getting nervous.  By February if we haven't had any snow I start to get down.  We've most probably missed it.  Understand I'm not talking about snow that can be measured in feet, but just 6 inches or so.  Just enough to miss a day or two of school work, make some poor dwarf snowman, maybe throw a snowball or two.


Right now I'm pinning my hopes on the Farmers Almanac which predicts a warmer but wetter winter than normal.  I wonder who's more accurate, a group of highly trained meteorologists or some fuzzy little creature's nose twitch that the Farmers Almanac folks swear by?  


S

6 comments:

  1. May as well drink the kool-aid and go with the Farmers Almanac. You guys are in for some dry weather. No worries, when it does rain everything will be so damn hard and dry that you will also be the recipient of flash flooding as a result.

    UGH!

    Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  2. the weather is crazy all over. I hear San Diego had more rain then normal? We have now had 2 weeks of LOVELY weather...temps around 82°F, dry (=no humidity)... like San Diego winters normally are. After a horrible summer, very welcome weather (and trees turning color as well!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're right, Bobby. If we could get a few days of steady, slow rain it would be a Godsend. But if it's 5 inches in 3 hours which is more likely they way we'll get it, it will be all runoff and a big flooded mess. Either way I can't control it, so why worry about it now.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  4. Around here, we call the few flurries of white stuff that come down every few years, "angel dandruff."

    Here's hoping for a cold, wet winter for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder who's more accurate, a group of highly trained meteorologists or some fuzzy little creature's nose twitch that the Farmers Almanac folks swear by?

    I'm not a big fan of the local weather people here. They proudly show off their meteorologist creditials but if you go against their forecasts you stand a better chance of being ready for the real weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Farmer's Almanac claims an 80% accuracy, but when you publish something as vague as their forcast, it's supposedly 2% more accurate than a random guess :-)

    ReplyDelete