Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Nature's sweet spot

This is the day I've been waiting for.  After enduring all those 100+ degree days, fall has finally arrived in north Texas.  The low this morning was in the upper 40's, and the high today should top out around 67.  Sweater weather for sure, but not anywhere near cold enough to get out he big LL Bean down parka.  Warm enough to get outside and do something, but not warm enough to work up a sweat doing it. 


And it's World Series time, too.  I'm not a baseball fan, but to be able to participate in the water cooler conversation the next few weeks I'm going to have to be at least semi-well versed in the World Series.  I've always been for whichever team wins the first game of the series in the hopes that they can win 4 straight and get it all over with.  I personally think it was highly inconsiderate of Major League Baseball to schedule the World Series right in the middle of football season.  They obviously didn't get my letter.


And finally, I read in the paper a quote from a long-time New York money manager (referring to the Occupy Wall Street movement) who said that "....he was disappointed that members of Congress from New York, especially Senator Charles E. Schumer and Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, had not come out swinging for an industry that donates heavily to their campaigns.  'They need to understand who their constituency is,' he said."  Duh....he might as well have just said, "They need to understand who's payroll they're on."


Happy hump day.


S

3 comments:

  1. Ha! Occupy Wall Street is more of a media hyped commentary than anything else. Wall street is a trading platform just like the fish market is for seafood. Investment banking is not the same as banking that you and I use on a day to day basis.

    I'd much rather see them picket the banking industry headquarters wherever that may be. Picket the real estate brokers while you are at it. Picket the mortgage banks too...

    Nothing will get better till we are out of the Real Estate Slump. Just the facts...

    In the meantime I'll just save my money and or invest in America when the opportunity arises.

    Cheers,
    Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dammit the machine ate my comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, the protesters are not at all focused. But I think they use the term "Wall Street" for convenience, when they should be focused on the ivory towers of the big money banks. My complaint with "the system" is the way in which special interests from all walks can buy influence and get special treatment, special tax breaks, loopholes, etc. You'll have to admit, us middle class taxpayers are getting screwed. WE don't get any special favors or tax breaks, while the poor...well, they're not a factor at all. Just throw 'em some welfare bones and pick up enough votes to get reelected. That's the system we have today.

    S

    ReplyDelete