Monday, October 10, 2011

Sucker punched

Over the weekend K received via US Pony Express Mail her yearly 2012 enrollment form for her employer-provided health insurance, which I'm also on as it's better and cheaper than what I could buy individually on the open market.  At first glance it looked good....office visit co-pays were reduced as well as generic drug co-pays.  There were even a few more small benefits included this year.  Hmmmmm.....my early-warning antenna went up.


Ahhh....there it was.  Deductibles were up from $500 per person to $1,000.  


In her employer's defense, I can imagine the extreme pressure they were under to provide their thousands of employees with good health care benefits while at the same time dealing with insurance companies demanding near-double-digit premium increases.   I wonder how many companies just told their employees, "Sorry, we can't afford to cover you any longer"?


And O'bamaCare is going to fix this mess?  Haha!  Dream on!  


S

2 comments:

  1. Fees are what kill me, my co-pay is $35 but if I sneeze while in the doctor;s office they charge me extra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My co-pay is now only $20, down from $30, but I'll have to go 50 times a year to make up the additional $500 deductible.

    S

    ReplyDelete