Thursday, October 20, 2011

I tried...I really did try

My hometown team is in the World Series, and (nearly) everyone here is excited about it.  I tried to be excited, too, but I just can't work up any enthusiasm.  I dutifully turned on the TV at 7 last night to watch the game.  After just a couple of innings K started yawning and wandered off to iron a couple of shirts while I sat there watching intently.  After another couple of innings I was reading a magazine between pitches, hoping somebody would do something soon as I was rapidly losing interest.  By the 7th inning I threw in the towel and turned it off.


I'm sorry, but I've failed as a baseball fan.  It must be an acquired taste.  I know many of you are avid baseball fans, and I'm happy for you.  It is, after all, advertised to be America's Pastime...."baseball, hot dogs, apple pie, Chevrolet" and all that, but Jeez...it is SO boring.  It's like watching grass grow.  This is a sport where a "no hitter" is considered to be an amazing feat.  If no one hits the ball, what's the point?  Do they eventually just agree to turn off the lights and go home?  (Kidding....I know the rules.  It just seems like the last thing MLB should want is a game with no hits.)


I'm thinking I might need to learn something about hockey.  It looks like a tough sport, one where you can get your nose broken playing it, which everyone knows is the deciding factor between whether something is a "sport" or a "game".  Then I could have two sports to keep up with.  (I know they call it a football game, but let's face it, you can get all kinds of body parts broken playing football.  It's a sport.  Checkers, chess, curling, croquet, golf, Monopoly....those are games.)


One thing I will say about baseball....they generally have excellent hot dogs there.  :)


S

1 comment:

  1. I like baseball.... it's fun to play and the rules are EASY! To this day I have not understood the rules for football, or soccer! lol

    ReplyDelete