Saturday, October 15, 2011

No free lunch for me today

On weekends K and I take turns taking the dog out for her early morning dootie call.  Recently on several occasions K's come home and announced she found money on the sidewalk.  And I'm not talking jingling money, but real American greenbacks.  With double digit numbers printed on them up in the corner.  Sweet!  Seems we have some visitors to our neighborhood who like to partake in the alcohol offered up by our many local restaurants and clubs and get stupid, which means a free lunch for us.  Their misfortune is our good fortune.


I made it a point this morning to walk around and pay careful attention to whatever might be laying around on the sidewalk, hoping to duplicate her good fortune.  I had a gut feeling that this might be my lucky day.  'Course I've had similar "gut feelings" about lottery tickets I've purchased, the company Christmas party door-prize ticket I was holding, and the Publisher's Clearing House entry I mailed in, too.


I did find an abundance of cigarette butts, some shiny ribbon off what I imagine was somebody's birthday present, and a phone number on a semi-folded piece of paper (which I left for a single person to find and follow up on), but alas, no free money for me today.  And no free lunch, either.  My string of "gut feeling" strike outs is still intact.  :(


S

1 comment:

  1. When I find money on the ground, it isn't usually enough to buy me lunch :-) Now if cigarette butts were currency...

    ReplyDelete