Monday, October 24, 2011

A good weekend....

I got up earlier than I wanted on Saturday to take the dog out and found to my dismay that yet another charity had yet another 5K run going on, and it was being staged in MY neighborhood.  Again.  I'm all for charities making a buck, but why must I walk out my door what seems like every other Saturday to find 10,000 people milling around, PA systems blaring, and golf carts whizzing by?  Why can't they start one from some other neighborhood once in a while?  Then they had the major roads closed for the run all morning, meaning a normal 2-mile trip took me on a 4-mile runaround.  I managed to not run any of 'em over....K calls it "peaceful co-existence".  

I dumped off a car load of old records....literally, my car had 15 boxes of files in it....at the shredders later Saturday morning, and after that I had a day free of chores.  I went to REI and visited my kayak, which they are kindly holding for me until I can scrape a few more dollars together and find a place to keep it.

The highlight of my weekend was watching my alma mater Texas Tech play #1 ranked Oklahoma Saturday night on TV.  After a 2-hour delay because of a huge storm in the area (Norman, OK) Tech whipped up on them convincingly, winning 41-38.  It really wasn't as close as the final score indicates.  How was that possible?  Tech always has a great offense, but defense is usually just an abstract theory to them. Saturday they must have slipped in some ringers as our defense pretty much kept OK* in check.  They scored 2 late touchdowns to make it semi-interesting, but by then the stands were half empty.  *happy dance*  

So that was my 1-day weekend (had to work Sunday).  Didn't kill any runners, goofed off, watched Texas Tech kick ass.  Told you it was a good weekend.  ;)

S


*Why do Oklahoma's license plates say "Oklahoma is OK"?  Because they can't spell "mediocre".  (Sorry, that was mean.  Funny, but mean. ;)

4 comments:

  1. We are also working on peacefully coexisting with bike riders

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a half marathon a 10k and two 5 's in my neighborhood and have brought all of them here.

    Of course we have other events that make these seem like a cakewalk....

    Part of living I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always used to laugh at Oklahoma's license plates, too. I mean, Arizona is THE GRAND CANYON STATE, New York is THE EMPIRE STATE. Oklahoma is, well, just o.k.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have that problem as well - too many walks and runs. It's all fun and for worthy causes but it does disrupt the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete