Saturday, August 18, 2012

Goin' out with a BANG!

This afternoon I'm making a presentation to a potential client, hoping to build one last million dollar home for my retirement swan song.  IF (say long heart-felt prayer, rub rabbit's foot, stare at 4-leaf clover, knock on wood) they agree with my numbers, I'll be retired before we can actually break ground, so this job will be my first post-retirement consulting job.  Needless to say, bro is pulling for me.

I'm afraid it's going to be a tough sell because they are already "poor-boying" me, telling me how their income is down 25% this year.  (The wife is a doctor, and the reduced Medicare reimbursement scheme to doctors is taking its toll.)  I'm trying to make them understand that, even though their income is down, my costs are not.  But people hear what they want to hear, reason be damned, so....

I have all my documents, bids, numbers, etc properly assembled and collated, ready for their review. I have all my ducks in a row.  Wish me luck.


Let the games begin!



S


8 comments:

  1. You could cut costs, aluminum wiring, crappy windows, warped studs, teenage laborors...who would know?

    Oh...this isn't a government project? nevermind.

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! That's not too far from the truth. No, I'll pass on the job before I stoop that low.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure there is a temptation to cut costs and reduce quality just to land this job, but somehow I doubt you'd want to end your career by being associated with an inferior product. I hope you do land this contract and that you can make this house something special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Steve. No, I'm not going to risk a hard-won 40 year quality reputation for one last job.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  5. All went well. They want to change a few of the specs, all quite reasonable. We should have a signed contract within a week or so, then the dirt can fly. ;)

    S

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best of luck, Scott. And . . . avoid the bull.

    ReplyDelete