Sunday, August 12, 2012

How do you walk a terrier?


You don't.

I've always envied those people who can take a brisk walk and have their dog trot along beside them.  Those of us who have terriers are not "those people".  We just amble from clump of grass to pile of rocks, our faithful mutt sniffing diligently, hoping to be able to uncover one of the rare mice terriers were bred to find. 

The fun is when they actually find a mouse.  A few years ago our dog at that time, Emma Belle (a miniature schnauzer), found one that had come in through the dryer vent into the utility room.  It made it's way to the kitchen pantry where it got in to some dry pasta, then tried to make a run for it back  under the washing machine.  Those little bastards can scoot!  Emma...not so fast.  She was running in place, slipping on the hardwood floors, while the mouse pulled away.   For the better part of a day Emma stood guard, keeping it holed up.  It eventually ate some rat poison I put out and that was the end. 

I wonder what Emma thought of all that?  "So THAT'S what I've spent my life sniffing for!"  I suspect she felt pretty darn proud of herself.  I guess that's why I just let Luke (the Yorkie) amble along like he does.  I'm sorta hoping he'll find something.  It would probably scare the crap out of him, but I would find it quite entertaining.  ;)

S





7 comments:

  1. I always wonder about the breeding of dogs. We had a corgi and it was designed to herd cattle and be short enough to not get kicked. I don't think our Ellie ever saw a cow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And 2 of my 3 terriers have never seen a mouse, either. Oddly, their ratting instinct is still there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So...what you are saying is that you don't walk Luke, but he walks you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peeper....if I ask nicely he let's me tag along. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you think that's tough, you ought to try walking a cat on a leash!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know how those terriers feel, I was bred to make buggy whips!

    Ya gotta love dogs.

    Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Luke is such a cutie :)

    I remember dogsitting a corgi once - he was defnitely on his own schedule. He was kind of elderly anyway, & had mosey down pat.

    ReplyDelete