Thursday, August 9, 2012

Time to hang it up....


With my 62nd birthday just a couple of weeks away, I've come to the conclusion that now is probably the right time to retire, or at least semi-retire.  While of course things have changed considerably over the past 40 years, the change that my industry has gone through has been especially dramatic, and not in a good way. 

I used to thoroughly enjoy designing new homes, or more correctly, working alongside the architects (they "drew", I "tweaked"), then turning those 2-dimensional blueprints into someone's "dream home".  I loved figuring out how to put 'em together, visualizing the 3-D geometry needed to get all the parts to fit together right.  And there's really nothing like the sense of satisfaction you get driving down a street where you built years ago and saying to yourself, "I built that one, and that one, and that one, too", waving at the people working in their yards, recognizing some, but knowing others had passed along your creation to other families for them to enjoy.

But back then you had a minimal amount of paperwork, customers were more trusting, a handshake meant something, your competitors were by-and-large honorable people, and the bankers had yet to go over to The Dark Side.  Because I dealt with them fairly and paid well and on time, the best craftsmen actually wanted to work for me.  Going to work every day was a very pleasant experience.

But then some shady types invaded our ranks causing people to look at us all as borderline crooks, which I resented greatly.  Standardized contracts went from 1 page in 1972 to nearly 30 pages today.  Workman's Comp, liability insurance, audits, waivers, EPA, OSHA, storm water/erosion control....the BS just never ends!  Today actually building the home is the easy part.  It's everything else that has become the albatross around my neck.

Since the economic meltdown of 2008 my industry has gone over a cliff and will probably never fully recover.  Regardless of who wins the November elections, our political system is corrupt and dysfunctional.  The money interest's have hijacked our country, and because they own the rule makers, they have an unlimited supply of "Get out of jail free" cards. They have things rigged and can get away with darn near anything.  It's play by their rules, or don't play at all.  The risks I would have to take if I were to soldier on are simply not worth the modest rewards I might realize.

My brother / business partner wants to keep pushing on, and of course I'll help him get through the technical parts of construction on a consulting basis, hence the "semi-retired" status.  But for me, I'm tired of beating my head against the wall.  This isn't exactly the way I wanted to see my career curtain come down, but I can accept it and be happy.  I'm sure I'll work or volunteer somewhere as I'm afraid I'd be a lousy rocker and probably an even worse whittler.  ;)

Cheers!

S


13 comments:

  1. Wow Dad! That's a big decision and you deserve it:) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The regulations meant to protect us are also destroying us. Enjoy your semi-retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea...Love you too, daughter!

    Joe...Correcto! That's what bureaucrats do...sit around and think up new regs. Those that need to be regulated are given a free pass, while the rest of us are just bogged down in it. Go figure!

    S

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been trying to semi-retire for over a year. How-ever, my telephone keeps ringing. You know you're retired when you hang out at the DQ at 8AM with all the other old farts, drink coffee and talk politics (which you're good at). JK

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've always struck me as someone who'd make a fine whittler. I sympathize with what you're going through. The illustration business fell apart even before 2008 and I had to reinvent myself. It can be done but it takes work. But I know you'll be great at whatever you do, and volunteering is certainly worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Retire from your job but don't stop working. Life is full of things to do when you aren't tied to a job and once you stop living, you start dying. And I totally agree with you one how hard it is to do anything these days. I finally got a deposit for a big job but not before I had to submit an insurance certificate for NO reason besides that it is on their list of things to get. We will not be working on the job site, we will not be doing the installation. they are buying a product from us but still, I had to submit an insurance form for an incredibly ridiculous amount.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The industry is losing one of the good guys. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, congratulations Scott. Retirement, even semi-retirement, is a good thing, I've found. And as every one says, I don't have time for all that I want to do! Prepare to be busy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not surprised based on how you've talked about the industry lately - best to not keep getting frustrated. It will be interesting to hear about what you decide to replace that work with :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's good that you can keep your hand in and keep a few extra dollars coming in. I would have retired years ago if I had been smart enough to plan for it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I started reading your post, I thought you were pulling our legs. Because No. 1 you in NO WAY look like the dork with the glasses in the picture and No. 2 there is NO WAY you are 62.

    And then I started reading the rest of your post, and the comments, and only then did I realize you are serious.

    So... I guess congratulations are in order. I'm looking forward to finding out what will be on your next plate. I have a friend who is 85, retired from the army and a few times from a number of other jobs, and he keeps going back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone for the good wishes. It's gonna be different for sure. I'm hoping for "good different" and not "bad different".

    S

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know a lot of people who have "failed retirement" but they usually go back to work on their own terms. It's nice that you have choices and can keep your hand in as long as you want to. You may find something entirely new to try. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete