Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Who invented advertising?

Whoever he was, he was an evil genius.  He has had more influence on the world that we live in today than Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, or even Carlo Ponzi.  I mean, any guy who could turn snakes into oil was either a genius or one smooooooooth talker.  

It was advertising that sold Ford Pinto's, women's "housecoats", and OxiClean.  (Hey....you think Billy Mays invented advertising?)  But not Twinkies.  They were a gift from God.  Advertising built the free market system, really.  They invented stuff we didn't need and via advertising made us think our life wouldn't be worth living without it.  

But wait....there's more!

I'm pretty sure an entire branch of advertising has been developed just to sell things specifically to my wife, and they've honed their pitch to a fine art.  I can't tell you how many exercise gizmos, kitchen implements, and hair care and beauty goops she's bought.  

Her latest must-have stuff:  Some kind of "nutritional shake".  This morning she asked me, "Will you be a doll and stop by Whole Foods on your way home and get me some Vega One?"  

"Uhh....What's Vega One?"

"Here....just walk in the door and give this $5-off coupon to anyone wearing an employee name tag and let them get it for you.  You'll never find it on your own."

"Holy Crap!  If it's $5 off, what's the regular price?"

*silence*

But of course I'll buy it for her, mainly because I've never seen a grown woman leap over a tall building in a single bound.  At least that's what the advertising pitch promised.

S



10 comments:

  1. The other night I get a message from my sister on Facebook that my mom just HAD to have this pastry maker thing on the Home Shopping Network. And I had to buy it for her right that instant too because the sale would end in a couple of hours. Oy vey.

    Most advertising doesn't affect me. Maybe if a fast food place advertises a new sandwich I might try it. Most of my money goes into getting music on sale on Amazon's MP3 store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it weren't for advertizing,I'd never know what I need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am Kelly's soul-sister when it comes to that stuff. In fact, there's something I need to order from Amazon right now. Be back later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Just think - this blog post wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for that coupon or me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And to take it a step further K, without you our capitaliist system would collapse. "All hail Queen Kelly!"

    S

    ReplyDelete
  6. "All hail Queen Kelly" <- has a nice ring to it - I will now expect "bowing"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun post. You remind me of how much I miss Billy Mays. I wrote a post about Billy that few read back on 9/08/12. You might find it amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the latest one with Martin Scorsese. I'm not even sure what he's advertising unless it's the phone. And I love the ones with the two guys in the car for Sonic drive-in. "Noooooo!" Makes me laugh every time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love European commercials...I always think of them as just a little more clever and devious.

    Have you seen the Fiat commercials? (They are on Youtube). If all of a sudden I have a Fiat in my garage, it's because of those commercials, not because I need a Fiat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If it says As Seen On TV my wife is sold, you have to love a good Billy Mays commercial, he had a way of keeping your attention.

    ReplyDelete