Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Doing my part for the economy



I had my appointment this morning with the doctors at the Texas Back Institute.  I went in with a pinched nerve and came out with "cervical radiculopathy syndrome", which is a $3 term for "pinched nerve".


My doc was about 60 and had a wall full of diplomas, certifications, and awards for published research.  One that caught my eye was for "a controlled biochemical and immunohistochemical study of human synovial-type (group II) phospholipase A2 and inflammatory cells in macroscopically normal, degenerated and herniated human lumbar disc tissue."  (He's either brilliant or a master of BS!)  Along for observation he brought 2 new doctors, one being from Beijing.


The fix:  an anti-inflammatory med, physical therapy starting next week, then a minimally invasive "selective nerve root block" in 2 weeks.  I'm hoping this will do the trick and I can put this behind me for good. (Ha...pardon the pun.)  As he didn't mention anything about surgery I'm assuming his Bentley is already paid for.


Now it's just a matter of counting the money in the coin jar and looking behind the couch cushions for stray quarters to pay for this.  I can only imagine how much it would cost us if we didn't have insurance.  Ouch!


S


8 comments:

  1. It's good to see that you still have a sense of humor over this. I just hope they can get to the root of your problem so you can enjoy some relief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a great chiropractor! He can save you a boat load of money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am guessing it is more than a three dollar word. You must have spent a lot of time in the waiting room to write down all that award stuff.

    Years ago I had a similar problem that required (in those days) an operation. I asked the Doc, "after surgery will I be able to break 90 in golf?" He answered back, "Have you ever broken 90?"

    Damn...busted!! Smart ass Doctors.
    Good luck with the treatment, it sucks being in pain and not using your arms like you should be able to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like the medical profession's version of 'artspeak'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with whatever the doctor recommends! Selective nerve root block, huh? Hopefully, that's not your last nerve.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No Peeper. I've been told many times, "You've got a lot of nerve!" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Take care. I hope it all comes right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a nerve block with both my shoulder and my hip surgeries - they're pretty fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete