Thursday, August 23, 2012

Now I know how Rodney Dangerfield felt....

"I don't get no respect", not even on my birthday.  ESPECIALLY on my birthday....



Haha!  Now that's funny!

I like these smart-ass kinds of cards.  Pretty much everyone who knows me knows if they get a birthday card from me, it's going to be highly insulting.  I reserve the serious kind of card to show respect for the deceased because (I'm told) a "bada-bing, bada-boom" sentiment just isn't appropriate.  (Even if the dead dude was a joker himself?)

Then there's the "grandma card".  You know the type....it's the one with all the glitter on it.  I'm guessing years ago a card designer at Hallmark decided nothing says "I love you Grandma" like glitter, and apparently in the glitter hierarchy purple is King....er....Queen.  No really.  Just go to the greeting card aisle at the pharmacy and look at all the glitter on the floor under the "Grandmother" section.  Purple predominates, with some red and some gold scattered in for (I suppose) it's shock value. 

But by far the most popular way to say "Happy Birthday" these days is on your Facebook "Timeline".   I didn't even know I had a Timeline until yesterday when I was inundated with well wishers.  I was flattered, but at the same time baffled.  K said there is an icon or something that supposedly pops up on my Facebook page daily to inform me who's birthday it was that day, but I'll be damned if I can find it.  So to all my Facebook friends whose birthday has come and gone with nary a "Yo, dude!" from me, I'm sorry.  

Some day I'm hoping my technological savvy-ness progresses beyond 1992 and I'll find that elusive Facebook birthday icon.  Until then, gimme your snail mail address and I'll send you a highly insulting birthday card....sent with love, of course.  ;)

S


9 comments:

  1. Just no funny cards for wives...they always want mushy.

    Happy Birthday Dude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On Facebook there's usually a little calendar icon on the top of the right column. Most of the time I forget to look there, but sometimes I'll notice it and go put a polite Happy Birthday on someone's wall or Timeline or whatever they call it these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My birthday is on November 8th. Please insult me good! I once woke up on my birthday to discover that Richard Nixon had been elected president. Try and top that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the insults too you old geezer....

    Cheers,.
    Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephen's birthday surprise is the worst of all.

    By the way, Tom of Light Breezes is marking his 66th today. I sent him an e-card that said "I remember when you weren't so disturbingly old."

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL at Stephen & Bruce. You guys are funny. I have a hard time picking out cards these days - I don't really like the "grandma" ones, but the insulting ones often get too raunchy for me. I'm a prude, apparently. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love insulting/funny/raunchy cards, especially if they are taped to a box of something that contains chocolate.

    Hope you had a good birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scott, You got to upgrade to a color monitor to see the birthday icon. It doesn't show up on that old green screen monitor.

    jerry the K

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being of the "sucked in gut, blown off hair" school myself, that card made me laugh out loud.

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete