Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Don't I even get time off for good behavior?


Kelly's Eastside Grill used to be one of my favorite places to go for a causal meal and an adult beverage.  It's a little hole-in-the-wall place in downtown Plano with good food and reasonable prices.  In nice weather I liked to sit outside and enjoy the sidewalk scene.  

I say this in the past tense as I haven't been allowed to go there for about 5 years now.  No, I wasn't banned from there by "Kelly" the proprietor, but by "Kelly" my wife.  All because of what she refers to as "The Great Little Person Incident of '07".

We had just arrived at Kelly's where I placed my order for a jalapeno burger, spicy fries, and a cold beer and then excused myself to go to the rest room.  I had just begun my "business" when someone outside tried to twist the knob to come in.  I politely said, "Just a minute."  

In about 5 seconds there was a knock on the door and again I said, "Hold on."  Then in just a couple of more seconds he started banging, so I yelled, "KEEP YOUR SHIRT ON PAL!"

After the obligatory hand washing (yes mom) I opened the door and said, "Sheesh!"....only there was nobody there.  Well, there was, only he was a "little person" about 4 feet tall.  I had to look down and squint to see him.

I went back to my table and told K what had happened when we began to hear sirens....you could hear 'em getting closer and closer until they stopped right outside Kelly's.  Paramedics came in with all their paraphernalia and minutes later hauled the little guy out on a stretcher.

K's face went pale as she leaned over and whispered, "What did you do to him?"

"Me?  Nothing!  I never touched him, I swear."

We woofed down our meal in record time and she hustled me out the door, doing everything but holding a jacket over our faces like the perps on TV when they're running the gauntlet of reporters on their way to arraignment. 

To her that was "The Great Little Person Incident of '07".  I have no idea why it embarrassed her so much.  To me it was just a little guy with a personal plumbing problem.  I hardly think it deserves my five year (and counting) banishment from Kelly's.  


How come I couldn't just get a 10 minute "time out" or something, considering I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING?

It ain't fair, I tell 'ya.  ;)

S

14 comments:

  1. Wait, what happened to the little person?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They hauled him off on a stretcher. That's all I know.

      Delete
  2. Are you trying to make sense out of a woman's thought process?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh hell no! That will drive a man insane trying! I'm just hoping the outcry will be such that she'll succumb to public pressure and let me have a damn Kelly's Jalapeno burger.

      Delete
  3. Dad, You DO know there is a 2nd Kelly's location...right???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that on their website as I was writing this. Maybe if I wore a wig and sunglasses.... ;)

      Delete
    2. Or...you could come meet your daughter for lunch someday since she is right next door and we can walk over to Kelly's! It takes a lot to embarrass me!

      Delete
  4. LOL...I was tramatized!!! Besides the burgers weren't that great!

    K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well no, not that toadstool/stinky cheese burger you always got. Yuck! ;)

      Delete
  5. Haha!! That is too damn funny, wonder what happened to the little fella? Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no idea what happened to him, Ellen. K didn't let me hang around long enough to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you should have been nice to the little person. A LOT nice. You could have brought him home and have him do all the looking for food on the bottom shelf of your refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hopefully the little guy wasn't suffering the result of eating something at Kelley's.

    ReplyDelete