Tuesday, January 8, 2013

It's all about appearances....and money


Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

This small house is in San Francisco, a locale where real estate is in short supply.  They're used to creative designs like this being plopped onto postage-stamp sized sites.  Except for the fact there doesn't seem to be any provision for car parking, I'd love this.  But here in Dallas, Texas when you say you want a small house this is what people think you're talking about:


This one actually appears very neat and lovingly maintained, but it isn't the sort of place that will turn heads when you're standing at the building permit desk asking if a zoning square footage  exception can be made.  That isn't actually the process, of course, but you say "small" and they just seem to automatically think this and reach for their "DENIED" rubber stamp.  McMansions bring in lots of property taxes; these don't.  That's as far as they can think.

Maybe I need to think more creatively:  I could present a front view that looks like the Palace of Versailles, but have it propped up with 2 x 6's like one of those movie-set facades.  Then behind that could be my little 1000 square foot house.  Think they'd catch on?

And here's how I'll pay for it:


Anyone remember the 'ol Swear Jar?  (Did anyone besides me NEED a swear jar?)

The idea was when you catch someone swearing they have to put a coin in the jar.  When the jar was full the money went to something fun or to a charity, whatever.  

OK, so here's my idea to pay for my new house:  I'll put "Lie Jars" all over Washington, DC.  When a politician tells a lie they'll put a quarter in my jar, and wah-lah....free house!  'Course I can't use little jars.  I'll need 55 gallon barrels.  Lots of 'em.  And with the money left over I'd be very philanthropic....I'd pay off the national debt or something.  Shoot, I'll have $16 trillion dollars by Easter.  What do you think?

S




9 comments:

  1. When I was in the 7th grade I had a pact with my best friend that I could hit her in the arm if she cussed. Since I was one of those annoying "good" girls it was really liberating to just let loose with a jab to her bicep a few times a day. Needless to say, that arrangement didn't last very long :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could always build the shell for a huge house and then put your tiny house inside of it. Or just move to San Francisco.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have friends who have built hangars for their airplanes, then finished out a residence in one corner of the building. But they're on the edge of town on a private airstrips., not at all convenient to town. And SF....no thanks. It's one of those "nice places to visit, but...."

      Delete
  3. If they are honest about lying the national debt would be paid off before Easter, of course they would lie about lying so collection could be an issue.

    Great idea though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought you were moving to the mountains of Colorado. I'm pretty sure they'd let you build an a-frame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bruce, that plan was contingent upon K getting employment there. My SS and part time work alone probably couldn't support us comfortably in high-cost CO.

      Delete
  5. Many years ago, a co-worker and I were trying to lose some weight and made a pact: every time when one of us wanted a candy bar from the vending machine (which would happen once a day or so), the other person would talk you out of it and take your 50 cents (the price of the candy bar from the vending machine). This money was kept in a jar for safe keeping. When we had lost the desired amount of weight, the jar of money was returned to the owner. I think we used the money to buy a new outfit.

    You could do something similar, on a larger scale, of course. Just think of how much money you'd have in a year if you ate out once or twice less per week and put the money into a jar (or savings account) instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've already started cutting back on the dining out and frivilous spending, and I can already see the benefits.

      Delete
  6. I think this is a f**king great idea. Expect a quarter from me in the mail.

    ReplyDelete