Saturday, January 19, 2013

The world has turned upside down!

Did you read in the news that France is involved in a military action in Mali (West Africa)?  Let me say again....FRANCE is involved in a MILITARY action.  This from the military juggernaut that most recently flopped at Dien Bien Phu in 1954 and before that saw their Maginot Line fold like a card table in 1940.  Maybe they'll surprise me and whip up on those nasty Malian rebels.  Then Paris can at last have a victory parade of their very own.  I've heard their military marching is one of their strengths.  *wink*



In fairness, France also gave us (their former First Lady) Carla Bruni Sarkozy. (Technically she's Italian, but we're splitting hairs.)  For that reason alone I'm willing to cut 'em some slack.  


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



And former New (The Chocolate City) Orleans mayor C. Ray Nagin has been indicted on 21 counts of conspiracy, bribery, and money laundering.  A crooked politician?  In New Orleans?   Nooooooo!  I certainly didn't see that coming!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And now I learn that President O'bama's big contributors are lining up to see which country they'll get to be the ambassador to.  (The big prize is apparently Great Britain.)  Here's how it works:

"Democratic officials and advisers involved in the discussions revealed some unspoken rules:  Volunteer for more than one country.  Be prepared to serve for only two years, so that a second round of envoys can be appointed before Mr. Obama leaves office.  Don't mention how much money you raised for the campaign (but don't expect much if you didn't raise at least a million dollars)."

I'm thinking O'bama should take the high road and hold out an olive branch to his defeated opponent, Mitt Romney. I suggest he make Mitt the ambassador to....oh, I dunno....maybe Mali.  ;)

S


7 comments:

  1. Don't forget fries and toast!

    Ray Nagin...nooo.

    I think Romney already owns Mali.

    Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it interesting that the only two people who could win battles for the French were a sixteen year old girl and a short Corsican. I think the French would lose if they attacked Legoland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I've heard Legoland can be pretty tough! ;)

      S

      Delete
  3. I think most men want Great Britain and most women prefer France (Paree, mon ami!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mitt Romney speaks French (wasn't he there on a mission as a young Mormon?) - it would make sense to send him to France, really.

    Don't be so hard on the French, they helped the Americans during the Independence War.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually Peeper, they speak French in Mali, too. It was at one time a French colony. And I've always wondered if the true motive of French assistance during our Revolutionary War was to help us or to just poke the English in the eye with a sharp stick, we being the "sharp stick"?

    S

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think France was a big contributor to the bombing campaign in Libya too. I read about Al-Qaeda in Mali and it's some scary shit. They've basically turned that whole country into an underground bunker.

    ReplyDelete