Tuesday, January 15, 2013

I don't like hats, but the doctor said....


If you'll pay attention to old photographs from about the turn of the 20th Century through about the 1950's +/- you'll see that men, all men, wore hats.  They wore them to church on Sunday, they wore them to their offices or to work on the assembly lines on weekdays, and they wore them to sit on the porch and whittle on Saturday afternoons.  

Where'd they go? 

After a little research I found out that President John F. Kennedy personally didn't like hats and refused to wear one, and because of his immense popularity at the time....Camelot and all that....he pretty much squashed the men's hat industry in the US. 


Young urban men of a certain age and rappers still wear them today as part of their "statement"....


....and drugstore cowboys like to wear them while they're out the on the range rounding up stray doggies.  (Haha....on their Wii's maybe!)

They're about it.  Otherwise, it's all about baseball-style caps. Hands down, if a man is going to wear a hat at all, they're the hat of choice today.


I bring all this up because about a year ago I was told by a dermatologist that the hair (singular) on my head wasn't enough to protect my scalp from the blazing Texas sun, and that I could look forward to hats/caps being part of my wardrobe from now on.  My recent bout with skin cancer brought that home.

I'm with Kennedy....I don't like hats either.  Still, it beats smearing that nasty sun screen all over my head before I go out every day.  I have a collection of a few hats....


 ....but I'm thinking I might get something a little more stylish for the spring / summer.


I'm thinking something like this ^.  It seems to work well for Sean Connery, and I like to think he and I have a lot in common....you know, the rugged good looks  that macho air of confidence  the moustache.  Then there's....ummm....

Maybe I'd better keep looking.  *sigh*

S





8 comments:

  1. I never leave home without a hat...but you're right, almost always a baseball style hat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd get a fedora or something but I don't think they make them big enough for my big fat head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just remember that with confidence you can wear anything. Without confidence you should consider staying indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your hats! I don't mind wearing a hat in winter - as my father says you lose about a million % of your body heat through your head :) But if it's not cold then I don't like it at ALL. To me they're just sweat factories. But I've been trying to be more diligent about wearing them in the sun if I'm going to be out for more than 30 minutes or so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember reading that bit about JFK and the demise of the hat. Funny how one person can have such an influence on fashion without meaning to.

    I can't stand hats, or anything "extra" on me other than just basic clothes. A hat would give me a headache. I can't bear to wear jewelry or even have ruffles on a shirt, and I'm having the toughest time with glasses. I'm just greatful I don't have to wear a tie; it would drive me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wish to say your article is as surprising.

    The clearness in your post is just nice and i could assume
    you're an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission allow me to grab your RSS feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the rewarding work.

    Have a look at my homepage :: check our their site
    my web page :: homepage

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exactly, It is a graceful and fundamental website.It is a very beneficial for us. So, I like it very much. Many many thanks for make this website. If you want more informastion about dermatology birmingham to visit dermatology birmingham Associated Dermatologists continuously strives to give our patients the best possible medical care. We specialize in medical, surgical, and cosmetic dermatology with a focus on skin cancer treatment and prevention. When you come and visit us at our new location at 1401 Edwards Lake Rd., you will be surrounded by a staff that cares about you. You can make an appointment by calling us at 205-853-3960.

    ReplyDelete