Thursday, January 24, 2013

What a difference trashing 1,400 downloads makes


Wanna have your laugh for the day?

My computer, an iMac Warp Speed VI, had slowed to a crawl.  On rare occasion K used my computer and complained about how something was waaaay wrong with it, this from a woman who has a Hewlett Packard, which of course runs Windows.  (Can you tell I'm not a HP or Windows fan?)

Yesterday I was looking at all the little symbols on the screen of my Warp Speed VI (by then more like a Molasses Drip II) and saw there was one marked "downloads", which I assumed was just an inverted "upload".  (Hey, to my little Neanderthal brain that makes perfect sense!)  I've opened email attachments from friends and contracts and such from work, but never thought about where they went after I read them.

I clicked on that icon and lo and behold there were "downloads" on there from years ago!  Over 1,400 of them to be exact.  I figured if I hadn't looked at them in years I probably wouldn't look at them again in the future, so I whacked 'em all.  Pffffft!  Gone.  And now my 'puter is back to running at Warp Speed again.


^already more tech savvy than me

Who knew?  *Besides every other adult and most kids over the age of 2 in the civilized world.*


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I see the Defense Department will soon remove the restriction that prohibits women in combat.  The social media is abuzz with the question, "Is this a good idea?"

My answer is a resounding YES!  I say this because years ago as a married man with a wife, three daughters and a female dog in the house, I knew without doubt on certain days of the month they could have gone toe-to-toe with the Warsaw Pact and put some serious whup-ass on them.  

Ronald Reagan didn't bring Communism down.  It was the threat of having to face my female warriors that made them unfurl the white flag.  ;)

S


8 comments:

  1. I'm not an HP fan either. Though really I never had one. I did have a Compaq, which was the worst computer I've ever owned, and then HP absorbed Compaq so by extension I don't ever want an HP.

    My thought on women in combat is if they want to fight and die for their country, then why the hell not? I'm sure there a lot of women out there who could kick my ass, I tell you what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had one HP laptop (one too many) and several HP printers...pieces of crap. Which surprised me as their printers and ink sales are a HUGE chuck of their profits. I thought they would have worked better.

      Delete
  2. OK several comments:
    1.I wouldn't say this except you let the cat out of the bag re your computer savy. I hope you are very careful about downloads even from emails from friends. Clowns are getting addresses from FB hacking and I keep getting emails from friends which are clearly not from friends. THose downloads will F up your computer.
    2. Re allowing women to fight up front...it is definately not fair, especially on certian days. Not fair to the ENEMY, as you so correctly point out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. I am careful with downloading, but K says I'm not careful ENOUGH. I've heard that Apple's are not as succeptable to viruses as PC's are....maybe that's it, or maybe I've just been lucky.

      Delete
  3. Hmm - I have an HP & think it puts things like that in a temporary folder that goes away periodically, but I'm not sure. Guess I should check! I've never used an Apple product so I have no basis for comparison (the business world uses HP so back in the stone age (1991 or 1992) when I got my first computer I thought it would be less confusing if I was using the same software as I did at work).

    Having worked in an all female environment I have to agree. And you know, just because I'm past that particular season in my life doesn't mean I don't want to do someone in on a regular basis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also getting bogus e-mails from friends and family members but i learned very quickly to not ope them. When I say quickly I mean mt son said, "Dad, don't be stupid and open those!" Kids are great.

    As for women in combat rolls, the thought of angry women with guns terrifies me and I'm sure will terrify the enemy. But seriously, this is just another prejudice hitting the skids. Good for us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yesterday I was looking at all the little symbols on the screen ... Well it's a good thing you retired and finally had the time to do this!

    I currently have a Dell for my main computer. I do have two iPods and an iPad, but those are more for "fun" stuff. Apple is very proud of their product$, so no Mac$ in my future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you're absolutely correct. About downloads AND your women warriors!

    ReplyDelete