Friday, January 11, 2013

The curse of being decisive

I'm a very decisive person.  I suppose that comes from being self-employed for the past 40 years.  Things come up, decisions must be made, and I have no one to pass the buck to.  I'm it.  Find out what the situation is....identify the options....evaluate them....pick one.  BAM!  Fortunately I make the right decision 98% of the time, but when I miss I don't beat myself up.  I just file it away in my "experience" bank and move on.

The trouble is I've become impatient with people who aren't decisive.  We have a customer, a wonderful couple, who cannot make a decision.  I've explained to them where we are and given them their options, offered my opinion and coaxed them gently, but they say the need to "think about it some more".  

Sometimes people think so much they become paralyzed.  My nature is when given a task I charge full speed ahead.  They're holding me back.  I'm stalled.  

From now on I'm going to make a dedicated effort to coast....go Greek....just relax and get to it when I get to it.  Que sera, sera.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Isn't this picture almost surreal?  It reminds me of a scene from Dr. Zhivago.  It's actually in the Harz Mountains of Germany.  It has nothing to do with anything on my mind, but I just thought looking at it was a peaceful way to start the weekend.  (I've found Friday's pass faster if you declare them part of "the weekend".  Just humor me, OK?)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Now for something more serious:  Boeing needs to get a handle on their 787 Dreamliner SNAFU's fast or they'll be in big trouble.  Every day something new turns up....oil leaks, fuel leaks, brake problems....but the recent fire in the avionics bay of a Japan Airlines 787 could have been a really big deal. 

The worst fear in flying is an in-flight fire.  This incident was a fire in a battery used while the plane is on the ground, engines not running.  But with the teething problems this plane is having....?

At the very least it might cause the FAA to consider pulling its ETOPS certification (that allows it to fly long distances across oceans out of close range of landing fields).  If that happens airlines will start cancelling orders in droves.



Historical perspective:  The first commercial jetliner back in 1952, the DeHavilland Comet, had a....let's call it a "troubled" early history.  That plane never recovered it's reputation and was not a commercial success, enabling Boeing to take the lead and become the preeminent aircraft manufacturer for the next 50 years.  

Boeing has too many eggs in the 787 basket to let that happen to them.  Get it right, Boeing!

Enough.  Have a wonderful weekend everyone.  ;)

S


8 comments:

  1. I try to be decisive too. When I want something I get obsessed to buy it as quickly as possible. Then of course Amazon or someone will put it on sale two weeks later for a lower price and I'll kick myself for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a retired man you work way too hard. If you need any tips on how to do nothing, I am willing to help...you need it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Joe. It's hard to go from 100mph to idle. I told my brother I'd help him with the early structural parts of construction, and this is one of those times. Pretty soon we'll be past that and I can relax more.

      Which do you prefer? Watching paint dry or watching water freeze in the icemaker?

      S

      Delete
  3. I usually make decisions pretty quickly (once I've decided a decision needs to be made). Mike reviews all the available data, makes an informed decision & then immediately starts looking to see if he could have gotten a better price. It's exhausting!

    Um, why am I spending part of the weekend at work? Shouldn't I get overtime for that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I figure that I can be wrong several times, realize my error and eventually come to the right conclusion long before most people can make their first stab at a decision.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the way I feel about people who are task oriented. I'm goal oriented, and it drives me insane when they spend weeks doing the project or activity without ever once thinking about what they can do to FINISH it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When Dave and I had our first house built, our builder commented as to how great we were to work with. He complimented us on our quick decision-making skills. Actually, we just learned how to say "off-white" really well.

    I'm with you on the Friday thing...since I started my new job and I'm off on Fridays, my Fridays ARE part of the weekend. After working too many hours for too long, it's quite a nice change.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you here. I like to think of myself as decisive. My wife sometimes calls this faculty "impatient," though. Eyes of the beholder.

    ReplyDelete