Thursday, June 9, 2011

Am I in the Twilight Zone?

Remember the old Rod Serling series?  It's like I'm here, but I'm not experiencing the same things everyone else is.


Yesterday I'm driving 70 MPH down the Dallas North Tollway and the radio traffic report says the DNT is stop-and-go from Frisco.  Huh?  Then later the weather report said winds were kicking up all over the Metroplex at 20, gusting to 30.  I looked out and saw flags hanging limp, and trees without a single leaf fluttering.


About 6:45 yesterday evening our building fire alarm went off, so I put on my shoes, grabbed the dog, and went outside.  (False alarm.)  I was the only one there.  The parking garage was full, but all the blinds in all the apartments were closed.   Even the social events calendar they stick in all our doors were untouched, except mine.


What was that old classic movie where the guy goes outside to find he's the only one in Metropolis?  He's screaming, "Where is everybody?", but nobody answers.  That's what it felt like here yesterday evening.  And walking the dog this morning....nothing.  Not even any early traffic on the roads.


Maybe I should just go with it and enjoy the peace and quiet.  But in a neighborhood this dense, it's just weird.


S

3 comments:

  1. Had a Twilight Zone event a few years back, my wife and I had just returned from the gym and while in the rush to get dinner fixed for the kids the telephone rang.

    While my wife wanted me to ignore the call I just happened to be walking by the phone and picked it up just by instinct. Immediately I knew something was wrong because I heard what I have to describe as millions voices all talking at once. Yes, it sounded a lot like normal static but in all the chaos I actually heard several distinct voices.

    At first I figured it was some stupid phone prank but right before I hung up I heard my mother's voice which was just a little louder than all the other faint voices I could barely hear.

    She said something to the effect that she was doing okay but her feet and back hurt, both normal issues, along with a few other things that convinced me it was her. Figuring it was a bad connection I told her I had to go and would call her back later.

    The next day I called her back only to have her tell me she never called me the day before and in fact had spent the night at my brother's house. Long story short I was starting to get spooked a bit and called my brother to make sure my mom was not upset that I had essentially hung up on her the day before.

    My brother brought up a Sci-fi story we both read once about how phone lines started catching calls from a different dimensions which was cool until dead people started calling home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This twilight zone thing is not a good sign...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember "the twilight zone"... I always watched it!

    Those are all spooky stories. It is sometimes odd how things happen... it makes life interesting.

    ReplyDelete